Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Bunce
Veteran
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andrew

Backing up source replica during planned failover

Post by Bunce »

Hi All,

We're doing our scheduled BCP testing tonight using failover to our replica's. Its a live test so we'll be running from our DR site for 48 hours and then either failing back, or 'undoing' failover depending on the nature of each VM.

I have a couple of questions:
  • If using planned failover I understand the source VM is automatically shutdown after the first sync and just prior to the second sync that picks up any remaining changes. I'm guessing we have no way to trigger the shutdown/final sync for scheduling & notification purposes? (given we can't be sure how long the first sync will take)
  • During failover is it possible to continue standard local backup jobs of the source replicas without corrupting or interrupting the failover process? The local backup jobs will be actioned from a local console while a separate console located in the DR is managing the failover process
Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backing up source replica during planned failover

Post by veremin »

If using planned failover I understand the source VM is automatically shutdown after the first sync and just prior to the second sync that picks up any remaining changes.
Correct.
I'm guessing we have no way to trigger the shutdown/final sync for scheduling & notification purposes?
Correct, it's done automatically, and there is no way to interact manually with that process.
During failover is it possible to continue standard local backup jobs of the source replicas without corrupting or interrupting the failover process?
No issues with such scenario.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Bunce wrote:During failover is it possible to continue standard local backup jobs of the source replicas without corrupting or interrupting the failover process? The local backup jobs will be actioned from a local console while a separate console located in the DR is managing the failover process
Since there are two different backup servers, make sure backup and replication/failover jobs do not overlap, if they concur for making the VM snapshot, this could result in unwanted consequences.
Bunce
Veteran
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andrew

Post by Bunce »

Thanks all.