Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SecondCity
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: SC IT Admin

Best setup for iomega StorCenter as backup target

Post by SecondCity »

Hey folks,

So we just bought a shiny, new iomega StorCenter x2-200, based on recommendations elsewhere on this forum. We're trying to replace a couple of USB drives childed off one of our ESX hosts as our Veeam 5.x backup target (Veeam server is virtualized W2k8 R2 x64).

Question: what's the best way for me to set up this StorCenter? So far, these are the options I can think of (and sadly, I lack the know-how for implementing them!!!):
1) Leave it as a CIFS volume and map a drive to it, using this as the target for Veeam backups. (I fear this is the least efficient)
2) Configure it as an iSCSI target and use the Veeam server's Microsoft iSCSI Initiator to communicate with it as a "native" drive. (I *think* I can see how to do this via iomega's documentation)
3) Configure it as an NFS datastore on my ESX servers, allowing my Veeam server to connect to it as a separate, mapped volume. (I think this MAY be the preferred method, but I haven't the slightest clue where to start)

My biggest problem with #3, obviously, is how to reconfigure networking to make all this happen. I have 2 ESX 4.1 hosts talking through a dedicated iSCSI switch to an EqualLogic 5.x SAN. Do I need to rob a NIC or 2 from the ESX hosts to facilitate this, or can I simply plug the StorCenter into my switch and have it "magically" appear for ESX?

As you can see, I'm quite lost here and would love to implement this in the best way possible for the fastest throughput. Thanks in advance for your help!!

John
SecondCity
Enthusiast

Re: Best setup for iomega StorCenter as backup target

Post by SecondCity »

For the people viewing this: I ended up starting the iSCSI route. Doing a test in Virtual Appliance mode now. I'll compare this with a fresh backup to our old USB drive to see if there's really a speed increase.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello John,

I'm haven't configured iomega StorCenter storage, but I believe iSCSI target should be a better choice rather than USB drives. I would appreciate if you could post your performance test results.

Thank you!
SecondCity
Enthusiast

Post by SecondCity »

Honestly, I didn't take good metrics in my testing, but it was SO much better that I'm in the process of moving all my VBKs and VRBs over to the StorCenter! I'll update you with numbers after tonight's/tomorrow's normal backups run.
Heiko
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times

Post by Heiko »

Hi

We have implement the Iomega ix12-300r for B2D purposes.
What did not work for us was when connected through switches for some odd reason.
iSCSI does work but make sure your MTU sizes are on 9000. Good performances.
At the end of the day we connected the iomega directly onto the esx hosts and mounted datastore as NFS. We had less problems with NFS then iSCSI.
SecondCity
Enthusiast

Post by SecondCity »

Heiko,

Have you updated the firmware on your device? From what I understand, there was a recent upgrade that resolved some iSCSI issues. Also, ensure you have the autodiscovery option turned OFF on the Iomega's website. I cannot directly link the post, but recall running across it when viewing the forums there.

Aside from that, we had no issues connecting the device to vSphere 4.1, then provisioning drives for our Veeam server. Backups seem to be moving along quite quickly...

John