Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
justingoldberg
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Justin Goldberg

Backup of ESXi 6 guest fails

Post by justingoldberg »

I have a vmware esxi 6.0.0 running, it is licensed as below, and I have Veaam free edition. A manual backup to a NAS device fails with "Processing Windows8.1 x64 OB Error: Current license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation." It isn't a permission issue as there is a 30MB file created on the NAS.

Product: VMware vSphere 6 Hypervisor Licensed for 1 physical CPUs (unlimited cores per CPU)
License Key:
Expires: Never

I get the same result if the guest is running or not.
--
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Backup of ESXi 6 guest fails

Post by Gostev »

We don't support unlicensed (free) ESXi because it has required VMware APIs disabled.
justingoldberg
Influencer
Full Name: Justin Goldberg

Post by justingoldberg »

Ok, thanks.
--
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Though, you can still back this machine up, using Veeam Endpoint Backup Free. Thanks.
jcolfer
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: John Colfer

[MERGED] Free Veeam Version 9 Not backing up ESX 6

Post by jcolfer »

Hi
I have 1 ESXi Host on version 6.0.0.
Under Licensing Features it says "Product: VMware vSphere 6 Hypervisor Licensed for 2 physical CPUs (unlimited cores per CPU)"

There are 4 vms on this host I want to backup. I downloaded the latest Veeam Free Edition. It's version 9.0.0.902

I tried to do a backup but got this error:

"21/01/2016 08:51:42 :: Processing Restorepoint Error: Current license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation."

Any ideas what I need to do to get this working? Do I need extra licenses for vmware?

Thanks in advance

John
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you need to have a paid version of VMware license applied to your host. Thanks!
berto_mca
Novice
Full Name: Alberto Garcia

Post by berto_mca »

Hi

I'm experiencing the same issue, but we have a paid license as you can see bellow:

Product: VMware vSphere 6 Hypervisor Licensed for 2 physical CPUs (unlimited cores per CPU)
License Key: *****-*****-*****-*****-*****
Expires: Never

Product Features:
Up to 8-way virtual SMP

And we're always getting the same error as per "Quick Migration"and "Backup" --> :: Failed to process VM NewBackup at .. Error: Current vSphere license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation.

VeeamBackup: VeeamBackup&Replication_9.5.0.1038.Update2 (Free version)

Please, could you help us?

Regards
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Alberto, free ESXi is not supported due to reasons mentioned above by Anton. In order to use Veeam B&R, paid license key should be installed to the ESXi host.
berto_mca
Novice

Post by berto_mca »

Hi Vitaly

But we have a paid license installed on the hosts, I guess that the purchased license is "VMware vSphere 6 Essentials Kit for 3 hosts (Max 2 processors per host) - VS6-ESSL-KIT-C"

I tried to reinstall the license but we are still having the same problem.

Regards.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

The license that you have above is a free key. You need to install your paid license (Essentials) by updating the key on all hosts. After that you would be able to back up VMs. The error message above can only be shown if you're still using the free key. If you need assistance on updating the key, try to reach out to the support team. Hope it helps!
berto_mca
Novice

Post by berto_mca »

Ok, all clear

Many thanks!

Regards
RyGy7
Influencer
Full Name: Shawn

[MERGED] esxi version prohibits execution

Post by RyGy7 »

Been awhile since i used veeam but wanted to re-introduce myself in my lab environment. I downloaded and installed the latest free backup and rep of veeam and connected to my esxi host ver 6.0.0. I attempt to backup and "current vsphere license or esxi version prohibits execution."

Now obviously the error states what is wrong but i used to be able to use this without issue, can't remember my version but it was definitely free, possibly 5.5.

am i beyond using veeam to backup my lab? I enjoy the product just wanted to use it more.
Pat490
Expert
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Patrick

Re: esxi version prohibits execution

Post by Pat490 »

are you trying to use VBR with free ESXi version?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

vSphere Free Edition is not supported, indeed. Thanks.
RyGy7
Influencer
Full Name: Shawn

Post by RyGy7 »

What about hyper-v? it was some time ago when my lab was for training MS i might have been on hyper-v and that's why i recall it working...maybe?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Yes, Hyper-V free is fully supported, since it does not have any APIs locked down.
reit
Lurker
Full Name: Andrea Mancino

Post by reit »

Hello there,
I have this Product VMware vSphere 5 Hypervisor Licensed for 1 physical CPUs (unlimited cores per CPU)
licensed.
But I am still getting the same error when I try to backup .. or veeamZip
Can you please help ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Based on the description of your license key it is indeed a FREE version of the hypervisor which has some APIs locked for backup. Free version also has a license key, but it should be paid, please review this thread for more info.
aitziber.sainz
Lurker
Full Name: aitziber

[MERGED] Error: Current vSphere license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation

Post by aitziber.sainz »

hello,
i have 2 ESXI free version 6.7 and i want to do replication between them but when i try this a have an error.
Error: Current vSphere license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation.

what version a need?
thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Error: Current vSphere license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation

Post by foggy »

You need any paid vSphere license. Free ESXi is not supported.
aaron.wright2
Lurker
Full Name: Aaron Wright

[MERGED] Start-VBRZip and Licensing

Post by aaron.wright2 »

I've installed Veeam Backup and Replication 9.5 Update 4 on a Windows Server 2016 VM. I don't have a license for it so it's the Community Edition. I added the ESXi hosts and their VMs in my environment to the console, as well as the necessary credentials. Now I'm trying to put together a Powershell script to back up some VMs using Start-VBRZip. The script works well for VMs on an ESXi host that is still within the 30-60 day trial period.

However I have another ESXi host that is outside of the trail period and has an ESXi Free key installed. When I try to back up VMs on this host I receive an error "Job details: Processing VM Error: Current vSphere license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation."

I've read multiple blog posts such as this one (https://www.veeam.com/blog/veeam-backup ... shell.html) that gave me the impression that Start-VBRZip would work with the free version of ESXi. The articles don't mention that a paid version of ESXi such as Essentials is required. Is that something that everyone already understands (except me) and that's why it isn't called out in any articles? Or have I come across a technical bug here that can be solved with a patch of some kind?

Second question, if a paid version of ESXi is required in order to use Start-VBRZip to back up VMs, are there any other zero cost options to accomplish the same thing? Would the Veeam Agent be the only option?

Third question, if I purchased the full version of Veeam Backup and Replication (instead of the Community Edition) is it possible to use Start-VBRZip to back up VMs on a free version of ESXi? I know it would probably be silly to do that but I'm trying to understand the licensing.

Thanks for any help/knowledge you can send my way,
Aaron
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

The Free ESXi is not support and has never been due to certain APIs being blocked in it.

As to the second question, yes, to back up VMs residing on Free ESXi you need to use Veeam Agents.

Thanks!
aaron.wright2
Lurker
Full Name: Aaron Wright

Post by aaron.wright2 »

Thanks v.eremin
I edited my post and added a 3rd question. Can you tell me if the full/paid version of Veeam Backup and Replication can backups VMs on an ESXi host with the free license installed?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 2 people like this post

Nope, as mentioned, Free ESXi has certain API calls blocked, which prevents 3-party solutions from backing up VMs located on such host. Thanks!
Ashal
Lurker

Post by Ashal »

Hi Veremin

Would you know if this issue would hold true in the case where you are replicating to the host instead of doing a backup of its VMs?
My production host and Veeam backup servers are all licensed, however there is no VMware license on the DR host. Replication jobs from the production to DR fail with this same "Current license or ESXi version" error.

Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums. Yes, this is also true for replication to a host. Also the DR host must have a VMware license.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
Free ESXi is not supported. Veeam Backup & Replication leverages vSphere and vStorage APIs that are disabled by VMware in free ESXi.
Best regards,
Hannes
Ashal
Lurker

Post by Ashal »

Thanks HannesK.