Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
joespirit88
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Joe Spirit

SureBackup and Integration Services Time sync

Post by joespirit88 » 1 person likes this post

Hi All,

Our DC's are VMs and are the time source for all our servers including the hosts which they sit on.

As this is our setup we disable Time sync through the integration services on the DC's.

This is problematic however when doing sure backups in an isolated environment they can not update their time via NTP, I can't add a script as the scripts are run on the VM so it won't be able to break out and enable the time sync on the host.
We require a DC to be available in most of our Surebackups so this is a bit of a conundrum, has anyone else come across this and found a work around?

Many Thanks
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: SureBackup and Integration Services Time sync

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

For some reason I've missed your post, sorry about that. I hope that you've solved the puzzle in easy way. However I'd like to leave a hint here, just in case anyone else runs into the problem:

1. Log-in into VLab VM

2. In shell type:

Code: Select all

ntpd -l
That will start ntpd server on the appliance.

3. Use appliance as an ntp server.

All steps can be automated with SureBackup scripts.

Thank you.
joespirit88
Enthusiast

Post by joespirit88 »

Thank you for the response, this is kind of what we are looking for.

I think maybe this could be a feature request to enable time sync on integration services within a Surebackup so when veeam creates the vm it can enable this setting?

Many Thanks
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

<...> enable time sync on integration services within a Surebackup so when veeam creates the vm it can enable this setting?
That can be already done via SureBackup scripts that I've mentioned. Scripts are executed on VBR server and can be used to access VMs inside the virtual lab.
I think maybe this could be a feature request <...>
Actually I was thinking about adding an option to let users specify an arbitrary list of ports to be proxied via vLab appliance.

Thank you for bringing this up!
joespirit88
Enthusiast

Post by joespirit88 »

After some further investigation i have seen that the guest interaction options can be enabled through the guest VM by starting the services!
Most guides etc I have come across use the interactions menu on the VM Settings on the host itself which is why i was a bit confused. The SureBackup scripts run on the guest and I was looking for a way to enable this from the Host.
I don't need to set up NTP or proxy any connections all i need to do is trigger the service start.

Many Thanks for your help!
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

The SureBackup scripts run on the guest <...>
I'm sorry, but it's either me getting this phrase wrong, or you fell into some misconception - SureBackup scripts are executed on Veeam Backup and Replication server (please check p11).

Thanks