Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
john510
Influencer
Liked: never

No way to backup to synology ? why not

Post by john510 »

I just tried to do the following:

I am trying to use a synology drive for my repository on a network and it works for Veeam backup with no problem but not able to use the path such as ; \\fileserver\outlook with the veeam office 365 backup I get a error unable to connect to folder even though I can clearly map the drive with a letter? why is this. as you can see it the pictures I am able to see the drive path from my computer and access it. When I enter the path in veeam it turns green but when I hit NEXT i get the No such folder?

I was told by synology this cannot be done..REALLY? WHY NOT?

pictures included:
Image Image Image
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: No way to backup to synology ? why not

Post by Mike Resseler »

John,

We do have support for SMB 3 (Check if your synology supports this) but the reason is that the VBO repository is not the same as the VBR repository. VBR repository contains flat files while VBO is a running database (Jet engine, similar to the exchange engine) and running that on a fileshare is not really great for performance

Brgds,
Mike
BenoitHenriot
Veeam Software
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Benoit Henriot

Post by BenoitHenriot »

Hi Mike and John,

Same issue today on a Synology RXS3614, upgraded in SMB 3.0: "Folder does not exist".
After giving the VBO365 services the full rights to access the NAS, the error message is then the following: "SMB connection version: 0.0. Minimum required version is 3.0". Again, NAS SMB version has been upgraded to version 3.0...

Anything else we can try? Or is there absolutely no way for the service provider to use his Synology NAS?

Regards, Benoit
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Benoit,

Please open a support call for this one. If it is SMB 3, then there is something else wrong if the error message says SMB connection 0.0

Thanks
Mike
BenoitHenriot
Veeam Software
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Benoit Henriot

Post by BenoitHenriot »

Thanks Mike, will do.

@john510 : What argument did Synology gave you to justify the fact that their NAS cannot be used as a backup repository for O365 ?
john510
Influencer

Post by john510 »

They said the following to me.
John,

Be sure that you have CIFS 3.0, from there if you have local system admin you have everything working as it should.

[SMB 3.0 share (experimental support); backup server’s computer account must have corresponding permissions on the network share (see the next section)]

This is not a bug, it is a limitation. If you want to request CIFS support in a later version, the official route for all feature requests is through our forums. Our developers frequently read our forums
Otherwise they have no answer for this. Permissions are set....in fact they work perfect for the Veeam backup solution of the entire computer but the Office 365 mail back will not work..
john510
Influencer

Post by john510 »

Its all so clear as day form the picture below that the drive and folder is clearly accessible for the computer but yet the Veeam office 365 backup agent ca not see it..

The left picture shows the folder that can be sen and tot he right Veeam backup 365 that see nothing other than the C drive..

I even mapped the computer to the O:\ drive and it was sen easily under my computer but yet no under the veeam application

Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

It's clear as a day that on this screenshot, you're accessing the share under two different accounts ;) some user account to the left and VBO server's computer account to the right.
john510
Influencer

Post by john510 »

You would be Incorrect I logged into the unit as the admin the panel to the right is the Veeam backup interface and the left is the screenshot of me opening My Computer on the same unit.. so that incorrect, all on one computer and logged in as admin

By the way the pic to the left is a synology storage device showing its folders. able to see it from my computer but yet Veaam for office 365 does not. Again Veeam backup sees it fine but that another program entirely.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

John,

Anton is probably right though. Can you give the computer account (not the admin account) rights to that share? When VBO access the fileshare, it will do it under its service account, not as the user you are working with. So something like ComputerAccount$ should be in the permissions list of the fileshare

Mike
BrianS
Lurker
Full Name: Brian Seng

Post by BrianS »

To overcome the issue of backing up to a Synology, do a couple things (assuming more recent version DSM 6.1.4):
1) Log into NAS, go Control Panel -> File Services -> Advanced Settings -> Change maximum SMB protocol from default SMB2 and Large MTU to SMB3
2) You will still encounter permissions issues. It will continue to cause permissions issues if you just try to assign the DOMAIN\Computer account to the share, so alternatively, add the computer account to a domain security group and then add permissions to said group.
3) From powershell, run Get-SMBConnection and verify under "dialect" variable 3.02. You may have to close out any existing SMB connections and re-open.

This has worked for us, though per Mike Resseler above, you will find some performance issues. I am encountering a lot of ESENT errors for too many threads, no response, etc. on 2012R2 backup server when Veeam for Office 365 tries hitting its datastore on SMB share.

Another method I am finding more reasonable from a performance and consistency standpoint is to set a local target as the backup repository. Then for archiving/multi-point backups, backup said local target to another location such as a NAS using Veeam B&R/Agent.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Brian,

Thanks for this great write-up. I hope it will help others. PS: I fully agree with your last method. I am doing the same with my personal O365 account. My VBO server is a VM and I protect it with VBR to an offsite repository
bob.baird.xedo
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bob Baird

Post by bob.baird.xedo »

I am also saving my backups to a Synology NAS device, but the only way i could do so, was by the following:

1. Created an AD security group and added the computer name of the server that is running Veeam O365.
2. On my NAS (O365-NAS), created a shared folder called "backups" and enabled Advanced Share permissions.
3. Ensure the AD security group created in 1. above has read/write permissions to the shared folder in both permissions and advanced permissions on the NAS.
4. Created a symbolic link on my Veeam O365 server pointing to the shared folder on my NAS e.g. "mklink /d c:\O365_backups \\o365-nas\backups"
5. Create a new repository in Veeam O365, selecting C:\O365_backups as the destination.

Now I believe that symbolic links are not fully supported, but this is working okay for me.