Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
afarz
Novice
Liked: never

Stopping a Full Backup & Running Incremental

Post by afarz »

We have a backup job that runs a biweekly Full Backup then nightly incrementals. The last time a Full was scheduled, it ran for a bit but due to timing issues, we really wanted to stop it and have an incremental run instead (much faster) and just run the full the next night.

I stopped the backup and rescheduled the Active Full backup from Friday night to Saturday and saved the job. Ran the job--hitting Start not Retry--and it ran a full again. Stop that job, went in a just turned off active full backups, saved, ran the job again, and it ran a full again. At this point, we just let it run the full and postponed what we wanted to do until the next day.

Is there a way to run an incremental when a full scheduled? Was the problem I ran into that the full backup job had already started when I stopped the job so any subsequent starts would just run a full backup?

Please let me know if you need any further info or if I'm not clear in my description. Thanks.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Stopping a Full Backup & Running Incremental

Post by DGrinev »

Hi afarz and welcome to the community!

You can execute incremental run on-demand by using Quick Backup function of Veeam B&R.
I will ask the reposnosible team about the described behavior and come back with the information. Thanks!
afarz
Novice
Liked: never

Post by afarz »

Great. Thank you very much.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,
afarz wrote:Was the problem I ran into that the full backup job had already started when I stopped the job so any subsequent starts would just run a full backup?
Yes, since the job has created a new backup chain by initiating the Full backup according to the schedule.
So, if you will edit the schedule before the start of the job, then the next run will be incremental. Thanks!