Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
umenz
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Ulrich Menz

Fileserver Backup endless, possible ?

Post by umenz »

Hello,

Today we have monthly Backups for Long term, the Problem is the repository have only monthly states and any Files created and delete in a monthly timeframe are not in this repository stored !
The second Job is a short Term Backup daily, this Job has stored all files, but ends after the retention period.

my need is to address the Fileserver Backup in a separated Job to have versioning endless (actual need is >10 years * 365 Days = >3650 Backup Files)
- VEAAM Backups are static retention based and lost information's in long term Backups - right ?
- In a case of restore we need an effective Browse mechanism to identify the searched revision on a specific file over the complete range. - The Enterprise Client is not an effective view with thousands of same entry's found and listed.

Is it possible to save reverse Backups endless ? - is this a practicable way ?
Has Veeam a restore browser to find a modification of a file in the past effective in 3650 Versions ?

My opinion is to use VEEAM as a very good tool for disaster recovery and application restore and short term file item restores, but we have to Archive Fileservers with an classical archive system too.
Is the Roadmap of veeam addressing this need in the Future ?

Ulrich
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Fileserver Backup endless, possible ?

Post by foggy »

Hi Ulrich, you cannot have that large number of restore points, since current limit for the job is 999 (for any backup method). So to meet your requirements, I suggest you to configure it to a maximum value and periodically (say once in a couple of years) manually offload the backup chain to another folder/storage and start the chain anew (or just offload the older part of the chain). You would still be able to use EM to search files, just make sure you import previously offloaded backups along with the guest indices.