Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
leithm
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Leith Magon

fastest way to get a job to tape

Post by leithm »

hi guys

split environment dpm / veeam

i find dpm a lot better at handing off jobs to tape

where i struggle with veeam gfs is its need to create synthetic backups to copy to tape if the disk job runs outside its 24hr window or some other reason

copying the entire repo to disk is not really an option ( i dont want the incrementals, tape job would be huge)

can someone please give me some ideas here? tape is a hard requirement, source is fairly low spec SAN, target is fairly low spec nas

we will basically have to drop veeam if we cant move the data quickly to tape

I could possibly replicate the NAS to another NAS and then copy to tape using veeam but seems kind of excessive

I have srv2016 & REFS fast clone

forward & reverse incremental jobs
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: fastest way to get a job to tape

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Leith,
Backup to Tape job to GFS media pool doesn't always require synthetic backups.
Could you elaborate on your issue and goal?
Thanks!
leithm
Service Provider

Post by leithm »

Shestakov wrote:Hi Leith,
Backup to Tape job to GFS media pool doesn't always require synthetic backups.
Could you elaborate on your issue and goal?
Thanks!
Sure

When I backup a server to tape I only want to copy the VBK as I believe this would be fastest.

Originally I had all my disk jobs set as reverse incrementals as the latest restore point in the backup chain would always be the VBK. I have not yet tried to copy forward incremental to tape so don't know what happens here.

Some reasons where the tape job could not find a vbk and ends up generating one (which I assume creates lots of read,write,read,write operations hence it running at like 8mb/s)

1. monthly health checks
2. intermittent network fault (only veeam seems to have this issue) causing job to fail. quite rare though
3. some other reason for a disk job failing causing the backup window to be pushed out due to retry

I only have this problem on one site out of many running veeam but it happens to be the site with the largest data set. it is not massive though. Around 8tb split across two servers
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the explanation.
First of all I would try forward incremental backup on disk and tape. It will work faster, take less space and doesn't require synthetic operations.
The only disk backup method leading to synthetic on tape is forever forward incremental.
if you want to write only .vbk files on tape, reverse incremental is the way to go. Schedule backup to tape job tun as often as source backup job and it will write only .vbks on tape with no synthetics.
Thanks!
leithm
Service Provider

Post by leithm »

Shestakov wrote:Thanks for the explanation.
First of all I would try forward incremental backup on disk and tape. It will work faster, take less space and doesn't require synthetic operations.
The only disk backup method leading to synthetic on tape is forever forward incremental.
if you want to write only .vbk files on tape, reverse incremental is the way to go. Schedule backup to tape job tun as often as source backup job and it will write only .vbks on tape with no synthetics.
Thanks!
I ended up doing a forward incremental synthetic full (fast clone) on the Saturday and had the GFS job run Saturday also.

This worked out very well for me
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Sounds good. Thanks for updating the topic.