Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
gberkshier-cefcu
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Glenn Berkshier

Mapping standalone agent backup to managed VBR job

Post by gberkshier-cefcu »

I have about 10-15 agent backups that I've been running for many months, and there is a lot of archived data. I'm just now starting to understand the gist of all the new stuff that has to be done to move to a server-managed Veeam Agent backup. My question now is, how do I do this with my existing backup jobs and data? I see how to create a protection groups, and new backup jobs, and getting the settings where I want them. Do I have to create new backups and start over? I saw the mapping button, but didn't see where to map to with my already existing agent backup data. I searched, but it didn't find my existing backups.

On top of this, I have Backup Copy jobs that are tied to my existing Agent backup jobs. How do I deal with all of this? Is there a document that helps with existing backups that need to be migrated over? I didn't see anything that lays out the steps. This is kind of confusing for existing backups.
JimmyO
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Re: Mapping standalone agent backup to managed VBR job

Post by JimmyO »

+1

I tried to map the existing backup files to a managed job, but they doesn´t show up when browsing.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello folks,

Unfortunately, it's impossible to seed or map backups created by standalone agent to managed by Veeam B&R job or policy.
gberkshier-cefcu
Influencer

So are you saying that if I go from an agent-controlled job to a server-based backup job, I have to cut my losses and start them all over again from scratch? That really sucks.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Glenn,
gberkshier-cefcu wrote:So are you saying that if I go from an agent-controlled job to a server-based backup job, I have to cut my losses and start them all over again from scratch?
Yes, unfortunately that's a technical limitation.
JaySt
Service Provider
Liked: 75 times
Full Name: JaySt

Post by JaySt »

i was not happy about this either...
Could be me, but reading about all things regarding update 3 prior to the actual release of update 3, i really was under the impression all of this was a seamless transition.
At least a small note about this not being the case somewhere in the release notes would have been nice...

dont get me wrong: the new central agent management is awsome!
Veeam Certified Engineer
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Jay,

I'll ask to add such note to the Agent Management User Guide. Thank you!
gberkshier-cefcu
Influencer

So, Veeam folks... I'm growing increasingly angry about this. Here is why...

We've been told that the Update 3 gave us the functionality to manage the agent backups from the Veeam server console. Great. I pulled my agents in to the console to be managed. By doing that, it essentially shuts off any access to managing the agent at the agent end. That's fine. But until I create a NEW job from the server console, I have NO way to manage the backup job now. All I can do is delete or disable the job. I can't start it. I can't stop it. I can't retry it. I can't edit it. I can't even manage it from the server being backed up. All of the agent access is gone. There is no system tray icon to launch. If I try to re-install the agent, I get denied, because the "server is managing the backup". NO IT'S NOT.

HOW IS THIS HELPFUL?

I have several terabytes of data from agent backups that I now have to re-setup, re-run, and re-sync with new backup copy jobs. You have made my job 1000% more difficult now! Why would you do this without telling this is how things would be BEFORE we did the update? I saw nothing that mentioned any of this. If I had seen this, I would NEVER have updated those agents.