Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
wjching
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ching Wen Jun

VEEAM to support DR for Azure Stack

Post by wjching »

Hi All,

Was just wondering if VEEAM has a roadmap to have support for Azure Stack as a target for DR scenarios. As hinted by the following articles.

https://www.veeam.com/news/veeam-extend ... stack.html

https://www.veeam.com/executive-blog/pr ... stack.html

Currently from what i understand VEEAM agents has supports to DR Production workloads to Public Azure.

Thanks in advance and Regards. :D

Wen Jun.
Thanks in advance for any suggestion or advice :D

Regards,
Wen Jun
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: VEEAM to support DR for Azure Stack

Post by Dima P. »

Hello wjching,

Thank you for your post. Indeed, it's possible to install agent to a vm running in azure to protect it on a guest level.
wjching
Enthusiast

Post by wjching »

Hi Dima,

Thanks. I understand that is a possible scenario, however if I want to protect the whole stack I would need to install it to each and every VM. was wondering if this agent installation can be done centrally such as how VBR 9.5 U3 is doing right now ?

Regards,
Wen Jun

Regards,
Wen Jun
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi,

If it's possible to discover Azure VMs as a part of Veeam B&R protection group, then yes, you can automate the deployment and configuration distribution. Thanks.
wjching
Enthusiast

Post by wjching »

Hi Dima,

So far I have not seen such a thing being attempted before, would you happen to come across or know any tools or keyword i could search online for more information on this ? Understand that Azure Stack is built to be quite locked down in terms of the Hypervisor level and its storage levels, which could prove as a challenge in VM discovery. I suppose a tool that has integration with Azure Stack for this situation would come in pretty handy.

Regards,
Wen Jun.

Regards,
Wen Jun
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Here is Veeam Agent Management Guide which can be used to setup agent management functionality in Veeam B&R. Regarding the Azure Stack VMs - can you see/access these machines from your backup server?
wjching
Enthusiast

Post by wjching »

Hi Dima,

Our Stack is still in the midst of deployment and is not ready for use. We will need some confirmation on the DR solution before we can propose DR as a service offerings to our AS (Azure Stack) tenants.

At the moment we have not tested discovery on the said system. Also i will definitely be sure to give the agent's a try. From my current understanding of the DR capabilities for agents you would need to backup and restore the workloads, as i understand that there is still no support for replication for Agent workloads at the moment. Any idea when we can see that coming anytime soon ?

Also since Azure Stack is running Hyper-V as its backend hypervisor, just curious would agent be able to restore it to another standalone hyper-v , for instance a Hyper-V 2016 Host ? So far have not been able to see any resources online that has tested this scenario.

As always thanks in advance everyone :)

Regards,
Wen Jun.

Regards,
Wen Jun