Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
promodel
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: IT Admin

Feature request - import rotatable media backups

Post by promodel »

Hello,

We currently have a process using a backup copy job pointed at a repo that targets a USB drive.
This repo has the rotatable media option set on it.
We rotate USB drives on a schedule to have air gaped backups and we also pull one from rotation for archive.

We recently went to test a backup from an archive.
The backups needed be imported.

I went to "import backup" and pointed at G:\Backups (G being the USB drive letter) and the window would open and process and close and no new backups under my Backups (imported)
** Problem 1 - why doesn't Veeam have a job log for backup import so I could tell if it succeeded or failed or threw an error?

After working with support via email he informed me that I shouldn't point at the G:\Backups, I should have a repo pointed at G:\Backups. I explained it is a repo already, but I can't resync it because that option is greyed out, because it's configured as rotatable media.
** Problem 2 - I don't understand why resync is greyed out, the likely hood of me wanting to resync would be higher on this type of repo since the contents change as the media is rotated.

Finally, support suggested I create a new repo pointed at G:\Backup and resync that. I gave it a try and it worked, but boy that is not confusing and ugly and that is why I felt compelled to write this post.

Maybe the import backups button should start a wizard that explains some of these details or walks you through some of this.

I love Veeam, but this process needs some help : )

Thanks,
Jeff Pando
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Feature request - import rotatable media backups

Post by foggy »

Hi Jeff, thanks for your feedback. Basically, rescan operation is disabled for rotated media since it might mess up records in the database. As for the import operation, it should work fine and if nothing is imported, then there's probably nothing to import - have you pointed the import option to the VBM file?
promodel
Novice

Post by promodel »

Hey Foggy,

I did point to the VBM file, and the window would pop up and then disappear and nothing would be imported.

See case notes for case 02463172 - Unable to import backups from USB drive.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I'd ask your engineer to check import log (should be located in C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\Import_job by default) to see what had actually happenned during import operation.
promodel
Novice

Post by promodel »

This is what I was told by Veeam support:

Hello,

After a bit of research, the issue seems to be that the way we were attempting to manually import the backups from the USB drive was causing the communication method to fall back to a CIFS share.

In order to fix this, we should be able to add the USB device as a Windows Repository from the Veeam server. If you have several USB devices that will be used for this, it would be a good idea to set the repository up with the rotated drives option. This allows you to set a specific drive letter for inserted media to be found on, then the media just needs rescanned and, if it has the correct drive letter, it will automatically import the backup files that are found on it.

Here is our user guide article on rotate drives, for reference:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Let me know if adding the drive as a Windows repository allows the backups to be accessible from the Disk (Imported) menu.

Veeam Support
http://www.veeam.com/support.html
General Support Line: 1 (800) 774 5124[/quote][/quote]
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

But it was already added as a Windows repository backed up by rotated drives, right?