Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
dspjones
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times

Replication fails for servers using agent-based backup

Post by dspjones »

Support Case: 02609205

We have 5 servers (all virtual) which utilize iscsi initiated storage for various reasons. To back those servers up we are using VAW based jobs which allow us to backup all the data including the iscsi drives that cannot normally be "seen" by vmware/veeam. Those jobs work just fine. They are configured to store the data in the same repository as our other jobs.

At midnight we have a replication job which is configured to replicate the latest stored backups from that repository to our DR site. All works fine except for those 5 servers that are backed up using the agent. The error in the replication job is NO RESTORE POINT FOUND. Yet, in the repository they are clearly there and there are dozens of restore points. I am working with support on this (they are asking for logs) but was hoping someone else had a clue.
dspjones
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times

Re: Replication fails for servers using agent-based backup

Post by dspjones »

So I get this from support:
I was consulting my senior Engineer here and all of them agreed that doing a replication job from a backup create with Veeam Agent for Windows is not Supported

My response is:
HUGE FAIL VEEAM!!!!!!!!

That really needs to be a supported thing. At the end of the day, once it’s backed up it shouldn’t matter that it was an agent based backup or not. It should be able to be replicated just like any other backup.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello dspjones,

Sorry for keeping silence. It’s true – Veeam B&R does not provide the replication capabilities for physical hosts and as a result replication from agent backup file is not supported. I noted your post as feature request, thank you for sharing!
vtjim345
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jim Silvia

Post by vtjim345 »

Have you considered trying a Backup Copy job to DR to simulate? This is what i am doing.