Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Robvil
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Robert

VM disk errors

Post by Robvil »

Hi,

Hyper-V 2012r2 connected with iSCSI to Nimble cs235 via mpio.
All VM are using vhdx disks.

Periodicly i am getting alarms from ONE like:
Alarm: VM disk errors
Time: 12-03-2018 14:28:15
Details: "Errors/min" (6.0 Number) is above a defined threshold (4.0 Number)
Summary: This VM has logged one or more errors that have occurred on its virtual device
Cause: The situation may be caused by SCSI / iSCSI commands initiated by OS that aren't supported by Hyper-V or other issues
Resolution: Check the status of the disk subsystem and connectivity. Check for possible disk hardware, firmware or driver issues. See historical graph of error counts. When the virtual machine is using a Pass-through disk, you should monitor the performance of the Pass-through disk from within the guest OS
External: Refer to Microsoft Support portal for more information

No where i look, Hyper-V hosts or VM guests, i can see no indication af disk errors in the eventlogs. I had a case opened with Nimble and they cannot see any iscsi disconnects or errors either.

1. Where do ONE gets these numbers from?
2. Is this not logged anywhere in Windows OS?

Only thing i can find with Google regarding this error, is referenced to pass through disks, which i do not use.

/Robert
Robvil
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Robert

Re: VM disk errors

Post by Robvil »

Found the counter under hyper-v virtual storage device - error count.
Seems as my Linux VM´s has very few errors (under 4), but my Windows VM´s has tons of errors, like thousands, even the Microsoft VM ISO tool image has thousands of errors.
All Windows VM has scsi controllers. Anybody know why Hyper V reports all these errors?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VM disk errors

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Robert,

Veeam ONE retrieves this data from the Hyper-V host itself. The same counters can be observed via perfmon. There is an existing discussion in Veeam ONE forums that might shed some light on this behavior.

Thanks!