Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
tferguson
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Toby Ferguson

Feature request - Tape Inventory Job

Post by tferguson »

Hello. I'm fairly new to Veeam, but have gotten a few backup to tape jobs setup and running. One thing that I've run into, and I'm assuming others in smaller business environments have also, is that I have to manually run tape inventory daily. I may have gone about setting up my jobs wrong, but, currently I have Full backup to tape running on Fridays. I have incremental backups running nightly, Monday through Thursday. I have a different tape that i use for each of those nightly jobs (overwriting each week), and then different tapes for the Full backups on Fridays. In this scenario, I have to change the tape, and go into the interface and manually run the inventory job on the drive, in order for the scheduled backup job to see the change in tapes. If I don't, the backup job will not run. I've contacted support, and have been told that there is no way built in, to schedule an inventory job to run at a certain time of day.
I'm just wondering if this might be a feature that may be built into the software at some point in the future. If we had an actual tape library, this probably wouldn't be an issue, but, considering the size of this organization, it's really not necessary.
Thanks! Toby
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Feature request - Tape Inventory Job

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Toby,

If you would like to see what backup is located where, then maybe our built-in Veeam ONE reports can help here? These reports can be generated on demand as well as on any required schedule.

Thanks!
tferguson
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Toby Ferguson

Post by tferguson »

Hi. Thanks for the quick reply. I have used Veeam One a little bit, just learning my way around the software. Unfortunately, that's not really what my issue is. I'm pretty comfortable with which backups are located where. My main problem is, I've got to run the inventory on the tape drive, in order for the scheduled job to use the correct tape. We've got a standalone drive installed, and it can read the bar codes of the tape that I have inserted, but I have to tell it to do so, prior to the backup job running. If I take the tape out from the previous night, and insert a new tape... I can go into the B&R software, look at the media that it thinks is still in the drive, and it still shows the bar code number of the tape that I had taken out. It will not update that, until I manually run that inventory job on the tape drive. That's what I'd like to automate. It would be perfect if that inventory job (since it's already a default job built in to Veeam B&R), could be scheduled to run, just like any other backup job.
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ah, thanks for clarification. If you need to schedule verification for the tape inventory, then maybe our PowerShell sub-forum can be a useful resource for that. There is an existing topic for further reading: Tape inventory and move to pool