Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
bhildebrand1
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Brian Hildebrand

Veeam Agent for Windows SQL Cluster

Post by bhildebrand1 »

Is it possible to use the Veeam Agent for Windows on physical SQL server that is clustered? I have attempted and failed and from what I can see is it never asks for the SQL server name(which would be different than the server name since it is clustered).

Any thoughts?
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Veeam Agent for Windows SQL Cluster

Post by jmmarton »

We support SQL AlwaysOn Availability Groups but not SQL running on Windows Failover Cluster. However, today at VeeamON we announced future support for Failover Cluster.

Joe
bhildebrand1
Lurker
Full Name: Brian Hildebrand

Post by bhildebrand1 »

Thank you for your quick answer and that is great that you will have future support.

Until then let me ask this. If I have a physical server that is the active node of the cluster and I perform a full backup, it looks like it grabs all drives even if those drives are part of the windows cluster. If that is the case is it possible to take that full backup(of the physical server) and restore it to a VM and have all of the drives be created as well? I did an initial test and it looked like only the OS drive was there on the VM but I was expecting to see all drives.

Thanks again!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Brian,

Joe was not correct. Today VAW does not support clusters and SQL AlwaysOn. Sorry for confusion and any inconvenience caused.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

My apologies--I was thinking about VBR and not VAW regarding SQL AlwaysOn.

Joe
davis_b
Enthusiast
Full Name: Brent Davis

Post by davis_b »

In recent weeks our DBA's have started looking into Availability groups for SQL. Since configuring a couple of SQL servers with an Availability Group my Veeam backups have been failing on the secondary replica with the following error found in the event viewer:

Sqllib error: OLEDB Error encountered calling ICommandText::Execute. hr = 0x80040e14. SQLSTATE: 42000, Native Error: 3013
Error state: 1, Severity: 16
Source: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 11.0
Error message: BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
SQLSTATE: 42000, Native Error: 976
Error state: 1, Severity: 14
Source: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 11.0
Error message: The target database, 'DBNAME', is participating in an availability group and is currently not accessible for queries. Either data movement is suspended or the availability replica is not enabled for read access. To allow read-only access to this and other databases in the availability group, enable read access to one or more secondary availability replicas in the group. For more information, see the ALTER AVAILABILITY GROUP statement in SQL Server Books Online.

I am NOT backing up SQL via the Veeam agent with application-aware processing. I am simply backing up the whole server via a file level backup - the DBA's just dump a SQL backup file to the file system and Veeam picks up that DB backup along with the rest of the file system nightly.

Anyone ran into this issue, and how did you resolve it?
JLundgren
Service Provider
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Johnny Lundgren

Post by JLundgren »

Hello,

does VAW support SQL Failover clusters where destination is a SP (VCC-B) ?

Where can I find more information about this ?

Regards,

JLundgren
Regards,

JLundgren