Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jochot
Expert
Liked: 5 times

Feature request: Synthetic fulls and disk deletion

Post by jochot »

Hey,

I have 2 feature requests which may be interesting for some people.
First off, I'd like to create manual synthetic fulls.
For example, I want to restore my VM in a different location (from Germany to Spain), I need to copy all the incrementals + the full backup file.
It would be cool if I could just create a synthetic full for a specific day and then copy just the full.
Also this would be beneficial if I want to delete some older backup data without hurting the backup chain.
Something like the "active full" but as a Synthetic one you can create for every day you have incrementals for. So not just "today" but "last week". The Process of creating a Synthetic full should be the same anyway?

2nd, I'd like to request a deletion option for single restore points.
If you go to Backups -> Disk, you can delete whole disks, but only for the complete job (not single VM's in that job) and only for the whole retention time.
So I cannot just delete the oldest 20 backups of a long chain.
I know Veeam does the deletion with the retention policy itself, but when it comes to imported disks, this option would be nice to clean up older backups.
Also for that the Synthetic full option would be cool, as you could create a synthetic full on a few days you want to keep and delete the incrementals.

Just my thoughts, maybe some people think it's a good idea :)
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Feature request: Synthetic fulls and disk deletion

Post by PTide »

Hi,
For example, I want to restore my VM in a different location (from Germany to Spain), I need to copy all the incrementals + the full backup file.
Have you considered using ad hoc backup copy job to generate synthetic full?
Also this would be beneficial if I want to delete some older backup data without hurting the backup chain.
If I understood your question right, this function is already implemented.
So I cannot just delete the oldest 20 backups of a long chain.
This one is not clear. Do you want to be able to choose specific VM's backups of specific dates and delete them from the chain, leaving other VMs' backups intact?

Thanks
jochot
Expert
Liked: 5 times

Post by jochot »

With "older backup data" I mean for example, that I have a backup chain of 30 days, and I want to delete the oldest 10 days of that chain.
I can do it manually on the storage if those are rollbacks and I have a full which is newer, but not if I have forever forward, I'll always have to keep the Full (which is the oldest of the 30) and all the 29 incrementals to be able to restore the newest 20 points of that chain.

On the last question: I mean both.
I want to delete specific VM's backups of a Job with more than those VM's and I want to delete specific dates from the chain (this is basically what I meant with the above).
I know that you can use per-VM backups and delete just the VM's you don't need, but that doesn't work with imported Disks.

Please see all of this in the context of imported disks, which I want to change after the Job is not active anymore.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

On the last question: I mean both.
I want to delete specific VM's backups of a Job with more than those VM's and I want to delete specific dates from the chain (this is basically what I meant with the above).
I know that you can use per-VM backups and delete just the VM's you don't need, but that doesn't work with imported Disks.
Actually you can workaround this by creating a new backup job with a reduced number of restore points to keep, and map it to the imported backup chain. After the first run the chain will be reduced.
Ok, now it's clear, and the feature request has been noted. However, I'd like to know more about the use case - is that for the purpose of space savings? Are VMs in the imported backups still present in the infrastructure?

Thank you for your input!