Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mattya802
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt

Trouble Installing/Uninstalling Veeam Backup & Replication

Post by mattya802 »

Hi All,

New to these forums and looking for some assistance. I'm having issues installing and uninstalling Veeam Backup & Replication. Background information first:

This is being ran on my primary PC (Windows 10). I am using Veeam without a license (just the evaluation). This is being used only for a homelab environment, but I will very shortly have a full VMWare license in order to use Veeam properly. I did open a case (case# 02666079) with Veeam support and they informed me that they cannot do phone support and encouraged me to reach out here in the forums. Their best recommendation was to try to repair my current installation as obviously it's corrupt. Repairing the .msi doesn't work and leads to the following error:

You can see within my C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup folder the install is incomplete:

Here is the super helpful error I'm encountering when trying to run the setup.exe within the mounted iso:

Here is the error I'm receiving when trying to uninstall:

Things I've tried so far:
  • Ran the 9.5.0.1536 Update 3 exe. This completed fine, but did no resolve anything.
  • Followed the guide at https://www.vmguru.com/2017/06/remove-v ... n-console/. The msiexec command didn't appear to actually remove the product codes for me, so I was never able to launch the setup.exe properly afterwards.
  • Confirmed the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Lnkfile\IsShortcut regkey exists
  • Rebooted about 37 times
  • Manually rename Veeam folders and regkey at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication, then uninstall/install. Reboot, then uninstall/install.
  • Reboot again for good measure.
  • Bang my head against the desk.
  • Remove VeeamBackup and VeeamBackup_log from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.VEEAMSQL2012.
  • Rename C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.VEEAMSQL2012 and stop service.
  • Using revouninstaller and force install, which also just says it failed using the built in uninstaller. Trying to uninstall with msiexec gives the following error:

If anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears. I'm just about ready to say forget Veeam and look for another backup solution to be honest. Thank you.
kewnev
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Nev

Re: Trouble Installing/Uninstalling Veeam Backup & Replicati

Post by kewnev »

Have you tried scanning your PC for virus/malware?
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Post by csydas » 1 person likes this post

Hey Matt,

Really sorry you're having trouble, cause the program itself is awesome, and this is an annoying thing to dodge it on. Even if you can't get it going on your workstation, try tossing it on a VM in like virtual box or something just to at least try it out.

As to the actual issue, I think we had something like this once back on 9.0. There should be a redistributable folder on the ISO that has the server and SQLExpress installers there. You might need to undo the changes you made to the registry/paths, but do those work to uninstall it?

Again, I think it'd be a shame to miss out just because of this. I realize you can't do this easily with a workstation, but at least in our shop, we've nuked our system numerous times (either jr's being over eager or just me being a careless dork:) ) and our philosophy is just that we've gotta be in a position to redeploy in an instant, meaning Veeam gets its own server. I know you _can_ run it on anything, but for the most important software to us I think it's best to give it some preferential treatment.

Anyways, I really hope you work it out, or at least can try it on a VM or something to give it a shot. It's well worth it. I'm not quite sure based on your laundry list there if you tried the redistributables folder method, but hopefully it works. GL!
mattya802
Novice

Post by mattya802 »

kewnev wrote:Have you tried scanning your PC for virus/malware?
Yah. Everything came back clean, according to Windows Defender.
mattya802
Novice

Post by mattya802 »

csydas wrote:Really sorry you're having trouble, cause the program itself is awesome, and this is an annoying thing to dodge it on. Even if you can't get it going on your workstation, try tossing it on a VM in like virtual box or something just to at least try it out.
Thank you for the response. I did undo all the folder/registry edits I made once they didn't work.

Upon running through the different installers in the redist for MySQL, I still wasn't able to install or uninstall.

As for firing this up in a VM, I'd love to if I had another Windows license. If there was an option to install on Linux, I'd be all for it, but I can't justify buying a Windows License just to install Veeam on a VM. I suppose I could just use the 180 day trial and re-arm a few times and then rebuild/reinstall whenever that runs out.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Matt, I suggest you to download paid edition of Veeam B&R to get a trial license (it will be sent to you automatically upon download). This will enable the official evaluation period along with Standard support and you will be eligible for remote session with our engineers to take a closer look at your installation issues. Thanks.
mattya802
Novice

Post by mattya802 »

Thanks for the "loophole"! I"ll give this a shot.