Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
KeiichiKun
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times

Have exactly N files for N days retention point with big VM

Post by KeiichiKun »

Hi all,
case #02712535
We have a forever forward incremental backup with 3 days retention; in this job there are 3 vm (1.3 TB, 490 GB and 145 GB).
During first merge (so, the fourth day after first full backup) we got an error "Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.AgentClosedException"; anyway, the forever forward incremental with big vm does not seem a best practice, at least in my experience.
We have opened a case, but my question is "what's the best way to have exactly N files for N days retention point for this kind of vm?"
I need that because I'm out of space on backup storage..
Thanks
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Have exactly N files for N days retention point with big

Post by PTide »

Hi,

In fact, the retention is measured not in days, but in restore points. If you configure retention to "3" and start the job daily, then it will create a restore point every day and keep no more than 3 of them. Another thing to mention - merge operation does not require any additional space, so it seems that your target repository is simply out of space and is not able to keep a backup chain of 3 restore points.

Thanks
KeiichiKun
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times

Post by KeiichiKun »

Hi,
but in case of retention 3, and need to have the minimum space occupied, my options are:
- a daily full backup (3 files, 3 days retention, but i can't because I'll run out of the space during the second day)
- a ffi, with problem related; for example today I got the error and free space in volume is 3.49 TB
Thanks again
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Sure, ffi id definitely better in your case. Then please kindly keep working with support engineer on the issue.

Thank you