Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
DFEX
Influencer
Liked: 5 times

Feature Request for Tape-Management

Post by DFEX »

Hi there,

I messed up my GFS-Tapes because I have inserted the wrong Tape in the wrong time. :oops:
To prevent this in the future it would be cool to receive a message inside the last Tapejob-resultemail to insert next time the Tape labeled "weekly 4", "yearly 2019" or alike.
What also would be cool would be the possiblity to print out a calendar-like planner with the Tapenames on it for the Vault-door (or even better an Outlook-Reminder with the Tapename filled in 8) ).
This would help a lot!

Thanks.

Dietmar
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request for Tape-Management

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Dietmar.

Veeam B&R checks the tape headers and it overwrites the tape only in case its expired. Are you running tape device without bar code reader? Was that tape expired too? Thank you.
DFEX
Influencer

Post by DFEX »

Hello Dima,

it is not a question of write-protection or alike - it simply is a human error to insert the wrong tape. For instace insert the brandnew-2018-yearly-backup-Tape on the 29th of Decembre, but the backupwindow is on Sunday the 31st Decembre night - and the year had another 2 hours - so it did a weekly-GFS-backup. Is was just a human error. With a calendar-list, an Outlook-reminder or an Email-notification with the info of the next Tape-name it would not have been a problem.
Kind regards,
Dietmar
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Dietmar,

Take a look at VeeamOne Tape Media Retention Period report. For example, you can include a printed copy of such report to your tape storage to easily identify what tape should be overwritten.
DFEX
Influencer

Post by DFEX »

Dima,

it's nice to try to help me - but you don't get the point: again, it is not about protection - for instance, I simply don't care about protection on a brandnew tape. But this brandnew tape has been inserted one week too early - so even the Media Retention Period report does not help at all.
And BTW: I am not able to set a protection-period for days/weeks on a yearly backup, so I had to use years. As we have different lenghts of years/months you have to set the retention period to "wanted -1". So I am able to take the yearly Tape and store the wrong backup to it 1 year long.
I would be happy to have a list for all human Tape-exchangers in our office to know which Tape will be needed on next backupwindow.
If it is not a good idea and no one else in the whole world wants this - then forget my Feature Request here - you have the freedom to delete the whole thread here - it's up to you. I have my lession learned.