Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
richardlowe
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Lowe

Bare Metal DR Scenarios for Hyper-V Box

Post by richardlowe »

I support a Hyper-V host server that runs several VM's. The Hyper-V host also has Veeam backup and Replication 9.5 installed and is used to backup the VM's to a local NAS, and also to a Cloud service provider using a Backup Copy job. I also have a daily scheduled job withing Veeam B&R to backup its configuration database to the local NAS. So, the VM's are safe, as is the Veeam database. My question is what is the best disaster recovery scenario for the Hyper-V host itself in the event of catastrophic failure? There are no other servers available to set up Hyper-V replication, and there is no budget to get one. There is likely no budget for third-party software either unless its essential. I see several basic options but do any/all of these work and which is best:

OPTION 1
Don't bother with host backup at all. Rebuild the Hyper-V host with a clean install of Windows. Install the Hyper-V role. Install Veeam and import the configuration database, then restore the VM's using Veeam.

OPTION 2
Use Windows Server Backup to do complete backup of the host (inc. bare metal recovery, system state, c: drive, etc.). As the host doesn't change much, other than Windows updates and anti-virus definitions, the backup could be as little as once a month. Once the host is restored, run Veeam, import the configuration database and restore the VM's.

OPTION 3
Use third party software to backup the host. The server can then be restored using the third-party bare-metal recovery process. Then run Veeam if required if the third-party backup is older than the latest Veeam backup of the VM's.

Given that OPTION 1 won't take that long, and assuming this process will work, is there any benefit in going to OPTION 2 or 3? Or am I missing something and OPTION 1 simply won't work? Any comments gratefully accepted.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Bare Metal DR Scenarios for Hyper-V Box

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Richard,
First: welcome to the forums!

I think the answer will kind of depend on belief of the poster :-). Personally, I like to thread my Hyper-V hosts as cattle. When it dies, I get a new one and my config is for 90+ percent scripted in PowerShell so I can easily build a new host rather fast. So in my case I would go for option 1 and do exactly as you propose.

However, for Option 2, instead of WSB, you can also use our Veeam Agent for Windows (you can run VAW and VBR at the same host) and backup certain volumes/ partitions of that server. Obviously avoid backing up the VHDX files of the VMs (exclusions). With our recovery media, that would actually allow you to restore the host rather fast (So you would also do BMR like with windows server backup, but you can search on the internet for comparison between VAW and WSB to learn the different ;-)). If your VM's are located on a different volume then you would be able to bring back the OS on the same hardware (if it is not a bigger disaster obviously) and you would be back in business in no time. The benefit over OPTION 1 is that you don't need to remember the settings and that your work is much more limited resulting in being online again much faster.

For OPTION 3: Of course you shouldn't use 3rd party software :-D. Just kidding, this is a valid option also, and is similar as using VAW that I described in Option 2. The major difference is that we tested VAW and VBR on the same server intensively, but that we didn't test it with 3rd party software.

Hope it helps
Mike
richardlowe
Novice

Post by richardlowe »

Mike,

I appreciate the quick response. Given the budget (or lack of one), the free OPTION 1 is the one I suspect we will continue to use. Ideally what I should have done during the initial build phase of the Hyper-V host, was use disk-imaging software like Ghost, Macrium Reflect, Acronis, etc., to take an image of the built and patched OS, with Veeam BDR installed, but prior to any VM's being created. That would allow a quick restore of the basic system, then import the Veeam configuration database and restore from the NAS or Cloud if the NAS was also dead in whatever disaster has occurred.

Richard
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

We also have a free version of VAW so you might want to check that one out also
richardlowe
Novice

Post by richardlowe »

What limitations does the free VAW have? If I can install that on the Hyper-V box and integrate into Veeam Backup and Replication 9.5, also on he Hyper-V box that would be excellent. I can't believe it would be so simple or convenient however!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

It has a few limitations...

1. You can't centrally manage it (but I am assuming you don't need it since it goes about one box)
2. If you don't use other paid agents, you can save the backup on the Veeam B&R repository and get some basic management
3. You get support but without SLA
4. You don't get the advanced server application awareness possibilities nor the Veeam CBT driver

You can find the differences here: https://www.veeam.com/veeam_agent_windo ... son_ds.pdf
richardlowe
Novice

Post by richardlowe »

Very much appreciated Mike, thank you.
Pit
Lurker
Full Name: Peter Goetz

[MERGED] Backup of MS Hyper-V HOST – Best practice

Post by Pit »

Dear all,

I am using Veeam for the first time. Therefore, I have a question concerning the backup of a MS Hyper-V HOST with Veeam Agent for Windows in combination with Veeam B&R 9.5.
I have a MS Server with the Hyper-V Host on a RAID1 partition and two virtual machines on a RAID5 partition (and a global hotspare harddrive).
Veeam B&R is installed on the HOST. Therefore, the Veeam backup server is the HOST itself!
- The backup of the virtual machines is done via Veeam B&R 9.5 Update 3.
- For the backup of the Hyper-V Host I would like to use Veeam Agent for Windows and the repository of Veeam B&R because the job is then monitored by Veeam B&R.

My questions:
Can I use the backup location "local storage" in case of a necessary restore of the HOST?
I cannot use the restore option via the Veeam backup server because as mentioned above the backup server is the HOST and down.
I have noticed that the backup of the HOST with Veeam Agent for Windows is stored in a separate folder. Therefore, I would use this folder as the location for the backup in case of a necessary restore.

Best regards,
Pit
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Can I use the backup location "local storage" in case of a necessary restore of the HOST?
You can specify local HOST storage for backup, but that is not recommended as there is always a possibility that in case of a total disaster had happened to the HOST you might end up without backup at all.
I cannot use the restore option via the Veeam backup server because as mentioned above the backup server is the HOST and down.
For that case you need to have Recovery Media prepared beforehand.
I have noticed that the backup of the HOST with Veeam Agent for Windows is stored in a separate folder. Therefore, I would use this folder as the location for the backup in case of a necessary restore.
I'm not sure that I got the question, would you rephrase that please?

Do you want to be able to restore the whole Hyper-V server, or you just need to be able to restore VBR? If the latter then there is an option to do configuration backup.

Thanks
Pit
Lurker
Full Name: Peter Goetz

Post by Pit »

Hi,

I am trying to give you more details.

I would like to restore the full Hyper-V HOST. After that I can restore the VMs via Veeam B&R, if necessary.

Backup of Hyper-V HOST
1. I created the recovery media
2. Veam B&R 9.5 and Veeam Agent for Windows is installed on the Hyper-V Host.
3. The Hyper-V HOST has been backed up via Veeam Agent for Windows. The destination for the backup is the Veeam Backup repository (a shared folder on a NAS-Drive). Only in this case the backup of the Agent for Windows is also monitored by Veeam B&R.
4. After the backup Veeam created an own folder for the HOST-Backup under the repository folder on the NAS-Drive -> in my case: \\192.168.xx.x\NAS1\backup\NT-AUTORITÄT_SYSTEM\Backup_Job_SRV-HOST
5. In case of a necessary recovery of the Hyper-V Host I have to boot the system via the recovery media
6. Then I have to select the location of the Backup file. I cannot select Veeam Backup repository because the HOST is the Backup Server itself and down! This is clear for me! Therefore, I have to select as backup location "Shared folder". I use the path \\192.168.xx.x\NAS1\backup\NT-AUTORITÄT_SYSTEM\Backup_Job_SRV-HOST
7. The backup file will be found and I can restore the Hyper-V Host.

Normally, you can use as backup destination "shared folder" but in this case the Backup job is not monitored by Veeam B&R.
My question: Is the above mentioned procedure also possible and supported?

BR,
Peter
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Yes, the described scenario is valid. You can backup to vbr repository and import the resulting backup later in recovery media via other means (USB drive or NAS share).

Thanks
MassiveJim
Lurker
Full Name: James

[MERGED] Help configuring Veeam

Post by MassiveJim »

I have a relatively small environment
a single Hyper-V host with 5 VMs.
+3 workstations.
Not really knowing what I was doing when I first setup Veeam I installed it on one of the VMs.

all backups reporting successful etc.
Fast forward a few weeks and I have a pre-warning on one of the RAID-1 array disks that the host OS is installed on.
I took the decision that instead of replacing the 300GB SAS drive I would grab a couple of enterprise SSDs, to run in RAID-1.

I thought Veeam might be able to handle the migration to the new (larger) drives but It seems that it is only backing up the VMs and not the host OS.
But this also lead me to the question of, if the host OS went totally belly up, how the hell would I recover my server with no access to the host OS it is installed on.

so its fair to say I am a little lost on how exactly I should be configuring Veeam and installing it.
And how I can use it to migrate my Host OS to the new drive(s)

probably worth mentioning that I am most definitely a junior when it comes to server OS, especially hyper-v where everything is command line and power shell, have been struggling since moving to virtual based server about a year ago :(
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi James, please review the similar discussions above. For backing up the host itself it is recommended to use Veeam Agent for Windows.