Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stephen.cilesio
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Stephen Cilesio

Veeam + NetApp E-Series - Best Practice Setup

Post by stephen.cilesio »

We've currently purchased a set of NetApp E-Series Systems and would like to see how other's in the same position have set them up. Before you comment, Yes i have read the Validated deployment guide from Veeam with integration with NetApp. I also read the Veeam Validated implantation guide with NetApp Altavault which wasn't a massive help so i'd rather hear from a real world scenario before moving forward :D

With implementation, customers who have their own Veeam servers, we'd like to present them with their own pool of storage for backups but not the entire pool if this is possible for billing purposes. If this can be provisioned as needed or is it done up front? Would you mount the iSCSI LUN directly to a veeam proxy and use it as a repository?

Any feedback is welcome. Thankyou!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam + NetApp E-Series - Best Practice Setup

Post by foggy »

Hi Stephen, I suppose you're using Cloud Connect, right? In this case, you define the quota when creating a tenant and then can change the settings later.
stephen.cilesio
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Stephen Cilesio

Post by stephen.cilesio »

We aren't using cloud connect for this we are using Veeam B&R 9.5. I have a couple of questions to do with the setup also:

- In-Guest iSCSI or RDM's presented to the backup proxies? Which one would be more stable? etc.
- Disk partitioning with iSCSI is ReFS not recommended for this and we should use NTFS?

Any other recommendations would be welcome too as we'd like to implement this properly and have it scalable also. Thanks :)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

stephen.cilesio wrote:We aren't using cloud connect for this we are using Veeam B&R 9.5.
Do you provide disk space for rent? Otherwise I'm not sure I understand the scenario.

For other questions, please see your another thread, I've already answered you there.