Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
rverhe
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Rob Verhees

SCVMM 2012 to SCVMM 2016 migration

Post by rverhe »

Hello Folks,

Using SCVMM integration for Veeam. And now we want to migrate to our brand new SCVMM2016 environment..

When doing this all VM's are gettin a new VMM ID, so Veeam see all the VMs as new and unique.
This means all jobs need to be recreated and having a new full backup. We cant have this high load, and have this capacity not available for a full backup for all of the jobs!

Very, dissapointed with the Veeam support answer...

"Maybe it is not that simple :) or there is another reason why it still does not exist. And of course we have this kind of requests from other clients periodically. I suppose, that such kind of tool hasn't been developed because the number of Hyper-V environments is much less then vmWare. I think it would be worth posting your request to our official forum. Because when the appropriate number of requests is accumulated it could become a signal for action.
Here is the link to vmWare migration tool - https://www.veeam.com/kb2136
"

Anyone here have some experience with this situation??
For now we are stuck with upgrading :(.
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Re: SCVMM 2012 to SCVMM 2016 migration

Post by nmdange »

Any reason you can't upgrade your VMM? It's pretty easy even if you want to move VMM to new hardware/OS. Just run the VMM installer and point it at the existing database.
rverhe
Influencer

Post by rverhe »

nmdange wrote:Any reason you can't upgrade your VMM? It's pretty easy even if you want to move VMM to new hardware/OS. Just run the VMM installer and point it at the existing database.
Read my full message please. Upgrading VMM is not the problem..
The problem is every VM gets a new ID, so VEEAM sees every VM as a new VM.
SO: New full backup needed for our full Hyper-v farm! We cant manage this high load and needed extra capacity. While it can be pretty easy if you can change some VM id's in the Veeam or VMM database..
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange » 2 people like this post

No you said you are migrating to a new VMM installation. If you upgrade in-place, you will not lose the VM IDs.
rverhe
Influencer

Post by rverhe »

Sorry, you are right. But no its a brand new installation, we need to install everything seperate because we have Azure Pack with many custom made add-ons with other dependencies.
Anyone ideas?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Migrated VMs will inevitably get new IDs and thus will be considered as new ones from backup server's perspective.

If you're using reversed incremental mode, even though VMs will have different IDs, VMs' data will be deduplicated in the full backup file if you map the new jobs to the existing backup chains, so will not consume double space.

Otherwise (other backup mode), full backup will be created.

Thanks.
craig1712
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times

[MERGED] Repointing backups after replica failover.

Post by craig1712 »

Hi,

I am at the moment using Veeam to backup a set of hyper-v vms. I am moving the VMS to another datacenter and using Veeam replication to do this. Once I have failed the VM's over and made the failover permanent I want to add the replicated VMS in to the backup job that was backing up the original servers.

Will Veeam see these VMS as new VMS or will it be able to carry on using the same backup chain?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Repointing backups after replica failover.

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Craig,

Since these VMs are replicated (preserving original VMs), then you will need to run a new full backup. Please see Vladimir's reply above for more info.

Thanks!
craig1712
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times

Post by craig1712 »

great thanks, that makes sense. So if I am keeping 31 days of retention, should I set remove deleted Items data to 31 days aswell?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, if you need to keep these backups for that period of time.
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Gabrie van Zanten

[MREGED] Move VMs to new SCVMM

Post by GabesVirtualWorld »

Hi,
We would like to deploy a new SCVMM environment since our current SCVMM has some issues. Next we will move the clusters that are part of the old SCVMM to the new SCVMM. Now the big question for us is, what will happen to the backup of the VMs? Will VEEAM see the VMs that have been moved from the old SCVMM to the new SCVMM as completely new and start a new backup chain? Is there a way to prevent this?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Gabrie,

A new backup chain will be created due to the change for VM IDs, not sure there is a way to prevent this.

Thanks!
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Gabrie van Zanten

Post by GabesVirtualWorld »

Thanks Vitally, I was afraid that would be the answer. Thank you.
JRRW
Enthusiast
Liked: 45 times
Full Name: Ryan Walker

Post by JRRW »

Something tells me this would be the same going from Hyper-V Cluster stand-alone to an SCVMM managed cluster?
On the bright side, we very well might be going with a brand new Ceph cluster as part of the new hyper-v cluster purchase, so would need to take a new backup chain anyways... Still unfortunate.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you're right. The same applies when migrating from Hyper-V Cluster to SCVMM.