Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
wstmann
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Scott Mann

Instant VM Recovery Migration

Post by wstmann »

Couple of questions for the masses here today.

Last weekend we had a vendor complete some work which ended up corrupting a SQL database that is used for both dispatching workers and getting payroll processed. Big nig problems ensued all week.

My predecessor purchased veeam and set it up, and from my use of it, i like it enough to keep it around. Instant VM Recovery is awesome, has saved my bacon this week.

Questions Below:

1) Can i migrate back to production while the IR VM is still powered on?
2) Should i take an off schedule backup prior to migrating to production
3) How does IR actually work? I see the vm disk files are store on my backup repository, but i also the veaam NFS Store on a physical server and at one point this week completely filled the drive up on that physical server , and stopped the server from working.

Just looking for some knowledge transfer on this, as the KB's just tell me how to restore to production, not what best practice is.

Thanks all!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Instant VM Recovery Migration

Post by foggy »

Hi Scott and welcome to the community.

Regarding your questions:
1. Yes, this is a recommended approach.
2. Always better to have such a backup just in case.
3. Please review this user guide section and feel free to ask for any further clarification.

Thanks!
tom.weiner
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Tom

Post by tom.weiner »

I'm looking at doing something similar to this. I've read through the above linked documentation, but just looking for some clarification. We are looking to migrate VMs from one vCenter to another vCenter. I would like to use Instant Recovery, but wanted to run one thing past everyone before proceeding. We will be migrating the VMs during a maintenance window, but I'm wondering if I can stage everything prior to the cutover so all we have to do when the maintenance window starts is do the final publishing to the new vCenter. Can I have the recovered VM on the new vCenter running in conjunction with the production VM running in my old vCenter if I don't enabled networking on the Instant Recovery VM? My goal would be when the maintenance window starts do the Migrate to Production and point everything to the new vCenter instance. Will this work and am I thinking through this correctly? Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

tom.weiner wrote:We are looking to migrate VMs from one vCenter to another vCenter.
You'd better use planned failover for this scenario.