Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
simone.mattioli.gv
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Simone

Restore bare metal from backup copy

Post by simone.mattioli.gv »

Hello, i'm trying to restore a physical machine on a virtual machine for test purpose.
The procedure already worked when i made it from a cifs share, but since my last attempt i switched to a backup copy job instead of the old rsync procedure.

This time i had to specify the veeam backup repository and i connected to the central veeam server, but the storage with the backup copy is mounted on a proxy on another site(the same site where i'm restoring the backup).
When i connect i'm presented with both restore sources: backup and backup copy, but even if i select the backup copy it appears to be reading from the primary backup; and because it's offsite it's much slower.

Is there a way to force the reading process from the backup copy on the veeam proxy?
I couldn't connect directly to the proxy, it refused the connection.

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Restore bare metal from backup copy

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Simone.

Unfortunately, Bare Metal Restore cannot use proxies to access Veeam B&R repository.
simone.mattioli.gv
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Simone

Re: Restore bare metal from backup copy

Post by simone.mattioli.gv »

That's uncomfortable for my network.
But in case of disaster if i "promote" the proxy to primary server can i restore from the backup copy? (in that case it will be the only copy)
Do you know if in a future release this function will be implemented?
Thanks