Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
GOhrner

Full Backup of Dell Precision 5520 laptop not possible

Post by GOhrner »

Veeam Agent Version: 2.1.0.423

A full backup of a new Dell Precision 5520 notebook is not possible. Backup always fails with the following error message, which appears to be caused by the last, hidden recovery partition on the disk:
15.05.2018 14:10:21 :: Error: The device is not ready. Asynchronous read operation failed Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: The device is not ready. Asynchronous read operation failed Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [954]. Failed to download disk.
Searching the forum I found suggestions that it may be related to the partition in question being to full (https://forums.veeam.com/-f33/-t27576.html). The recovery partition is in a "RAW" partition format, however, so I could not find any means to display its contents in any meaningful way.

Any suggestions about how to backup such a system using Veeam software?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Full Backup of Dell Precision 5520 laptop not possible

Post by DGrinev »

Hi and welcome to the community!

This error message isn't related to the recovery partition, but it's about some hardware issue.
Please contact the support team and provide them with the logs.
Do not forget to share the case ID here, so we can track internally. Thanks!
GOhrner

Post by GOhrner »

"Der Case #03001340 wurde erstellt."
GOhrner

Post by GOhrner »

Ok, according to the support, cause was the recovery partition and that it's assigned a "RAW" partition type. I would have to recreate it in order to be able to use Veeam.

Probably I'll just buy Acronis TrueImage instead, the demo version of which backed up the machine without any hassle.