Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
RumataRus
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dmitry Prokudin

SureBackup: Understanding Application group&Link backup jobs

Post by RumataRus »

Hi!
Must I treat to "Application group" as a permanent part of a verification job and to "Link backup jobs" as a variable part of a verification job?
I'm trying to understand the meaning and purpose of "Application group" and "Link backup jobs".

Is there a difference where to specify virtual machines for testing?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: SureBackup: Understanding Application group&Link backup

Post by Gostev »

Hi, please read the sticky FAQ topic, these questions are answered there in great details. Thanks.
RumataRus
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dmitry Prokudin

Post by RumataRus »

Gostev wrote:Hi, please read the sticky FAQ topic, this question is answered there in great details. Thanks.
I found no description of the concept of "Application group" and "Link backup jobs" in FAQ.
In FAQ nothing is written about the differences in purpose of them. There is even no mention of "Link backup jobs".
Could you please give me a link to "great details"? :wink:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hmm, have you even opened FAQ?

There is a whole section dedicated to Application Group, cannot really miss...
Application Groups

And linked jobs are mentioned and explained in the following section after this:
SureBackup (Recovery Verification)
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Gabrie van Zanten

Not quite understanding creating surebackup job

Post by GabesVirtualWorld »

[merged into existing discussion]

Hi

Been reading through the manual and having problems to fully understand how things are connected. I want to check if backup of my adir went well. First I create an application group that contains all VMs that make up my adir. In my case that is dc01 and dc02 from backupjob01. So in the application group wizard I add those VMs, edit their roles and the check-scripts and I'm done. Next I create a virtual lab to create the network config. All fine.

Now the next step is to create the SureBackup Job. First I select the virtual lab to have an environment in which I can run my stuff. Next I select the application group that contains the VMs I want to check.

The next step is to link backup jobs and this is where things don't make sense to me. So my application group is a set of VMs that need to be running for the VMs from the backup job to be checked. In other words, if I want to see if my webserver functions, I need the application group as my basic set and then webserver with specific check scripts. I first add the backupjob that contains the VM and add the VM through the advanced button, select the VM, select the check scripts for that VM.

Questions:
- I'm not sure if all the VMs in the job are being checked instead of just the VM I added through the advanced button.
- if I don't add a VM through the advanced button, are all VMs from the job checked then?
- if that job contains a domain controller which is already in the application group, what will happen?

Gabrie
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Gabrie,

If you need more information on how application groups and linked backup jobs work together, please follow the links in the Anton's post (which is right above yours).

As per your questions: yes, all VMs are checked, both for application group and for linked job (you don't have to explicitly specify them by clicking "Advanced" button). If a VM is contained both in AG and linked job, it will be picked from AG, just once.