Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
abeidson
Novice
Liked: never

Application awareness issue?

Post by abeidson »

I have setup Veeam in a test lab to work on some powershell scripts. The backup is setup for application awareness and indexing as there is Microsoft SQL server installed on the server with a test database. If I right click on the server there is no "Restore Application Item" in the drop down menu like there is in the documentation I have found. At the top menu there is the option and I can restore a SQL backup from there. The dilemma comes when I run Get-VBRRestorePoint to just view the information on the backups the HasSQL option is showing False, so there is no way for me to continue as the Get-VBRApplicationRestorePoint -SQL returns no data since the system doesn't seem to see the application on the server. Any ideas on what setting I may be missing to get Veeam to see the application on the server?
abeidson
Novice

Re: Application awareness issue?

Post by abeidson »

Forgot to mention this is in VMware 6.5 and using Veeam 9.5 u3.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I'd check job session log for AAIP warning/error messages, since it looks like it was not performed successfully (otherwise you'd see the menu option).
abeidson
Novice

Post by abeidson »

Where are the logs normally located? Not that familiar with Veeam and the "Report" option under Session just shows Success with 0 errors or warnings.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I meant the Statistics option available if you right-click the job.
abeidson
Novice

Post by abeidson »

Well I just figured the issue out. It seems that if VMTools has not been installed then Veeam does not recognize the Index/Application options on the server itself. Once I installed VMTools those options showed up and the Powershell script returned the HasIndex and HasSQL as True. Didn't see that in any of the documentation I was reading and since I was using RDP and not VMWare console didn't notice that tools was not installed right away.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

VMware Tools requirement is mentioned in the system requirements section of the user guide.