Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
richardlowe
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Lowe

Optimum Backup Setup for Weekly/Monthly

Post by richardlowe »

I want to implement a backup schedule for a single VM that retains the last 28 days worth of daily backups, and 12 monthly backups on a local NAS. The monthly backups will be full. In addition the daily backups will be copied off-site to a Cloud storage provider. Is this the following set of jobs a good way to achieve this:

Create a Forever Forward Incremental daily backup job, with "Restore points to keep" set to 28, with no synthetic or active full backups selected, pointing to the Local repository.
Create a Backup Copy job with "Copy every" set to 28 days, using the Forever Forward Incremental job above as the source, set "Restore points to keep" set to 12, pointing to the Local repository. *
Create a Backup Copy job with "Copy every" set to 1 day, pointing to the Cloud repository.

* I believe the Backup Copy job creates a Forever Forward Incremental chain, but I want each monthly to be a Full. Is there a way of achieving that or should I create a second Backup job that runs a full backup once every month rather than using Backup Copy?

Any other suggestions gratefully received.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Optimum Backup Setup for Weekly/Monthly

Post by PTide »

Hi,

As far as I understand your scenario, you need to use GFS retention policy.

Thanks
Giacomo_N
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Giacomo

Post by Giacomo_N »

Hi Richard, I’ve a similar requirement in a different scenario (1year retention with weekly Point saved in two Nas in different building 10gbs ), but you can’t create a copy job with source and destination as the same Repository.
GFS policy can’t help, in my case actually I haven’t a second copy of this job/data, but I think to replicate it by Nas folder replication between my two Nas.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
but you can’t create a copy job with source and destination as the same Repository.
Why not to create a separate folder (that is, repository) on the same NAS? and use them as target and source within the same BCJ?

Thanks