Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Kurupt
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Kurt Muller

Moving from Shadow Protect

Post by Kurupt »

Hello I would like some help in the design of my backup jobs.
We are moving from shadow protect to Veeam.

We have three host VMWare servers all accessing one SAN with 25 VM's in the enviroment. The backup server is a standalone physical box.
I am trying to work out how many backup jobs I create.
Before I had a backup job per server as they had a client on them(Shadow Protect).
Do I backup all the VM's on a single host server together in one job or similar servers like all the Remote desktop servers or is it fine to just run a backup job for each server?
Some servers I will want to only backup daily while others (file servers, SQL, Exchange) I would like to backup multiple times a day.

I just can't find the information on whats the best way to group backups.

Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Moving from Shadow Protect

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to Veeam comunity Kurt.

I'd recommend to group your VMs into jobs by desired backup frequency and retention as such approach makes you backup strategy more predictable, additionally it saves some backup storage due to deduplictaion capabilities. For VMs with applications like SQL you can configure application-aware processing with transaction log backup enabled to meet better RTO.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Moving from Shadow Protect

Post by Vitaliy S. »

And for better performance I would recommend configuring direct SAN mode. Here is a bit more info on this > Direct Storage Access Mode