Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jamessa
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jamie Andrews

Truncate Logs Default Option

Post by jamessa »

Since we do native SQL and Exchange server backups that through their jobs truncate logs, I don't wish for Veeam to truncate any logs for my VMs. Is it just me or is it a bit odd that this is turned on by default and kinda a pain to turn off?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Truncate Logs Default Option

Post by Gostev »

I would say, this is just you. It is more of an exception for our customers to do additional backups in addition to Veeam Backups (definitely no more than 10% customers based on statistics for the past few years), so the default option was chosen accordingly. Moreover, our product did not even provide ability to disable log truncation at all until a few months ago, log truncation was always on.

However, one of the features I would like to add down the road is customization of default job settings, so this should help in cases like this.
jamessa
Enthusiast

Post by jamessa »

Interesting. I am a VRanger user currently and test running Veeam as we speak.

I am glad the option is there to turn it off, but I do wish it was implemented a bit better for people like me. Just simply an option to turn it off or on for the whole backup job through the backup wizard. I have found a way to work around it for now by adding the entire ESX server to the backup and then later in the advanced options turning it off for the ESX server, but any other VMs I want to set different permissions on or change VSS advanced options, I have to add them separately and remember to go in and turn this off. Additionally in the Advanced customizing options for VM's there is no quick way to see if it is on or off.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

jamessa wrote:Interesting. I am a VRanger user currently
Oh, I guess this explains. vRanger never provided proper transaction log management anyway, so yes - all vRanger users have to run native backups to make sure the transaction logs are properly managed, they just do not have any other options really. Of course this is not ideal, since essentially you are backing up the same data twice.

On the other hand, Veeam had transaction log management for 3 years now, and our customers never had to do native backups (unless they really needed to due to special cases/requirements). This is why majority of Veeam users are not doing what you are doing, and of course in our product defaults are implemented according to how majority of users are using the product.

You have a valid point on no quick way to see the setting state though.
jamessa
Enthusiast

Post by jamessa »

Thanks for your reply.