Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
aich365
Service Provider
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Clive Harris

Space required for installation of B&R 9.5.3

Post by aich365 »

Case #03042044
The system requirements advise 2GB is required for installation of Veeam.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... kup_server

In actual fact for Veeam 9.5.3 at least 9GB is required to install.

this is because version 9.5.0 is installed first and then Update 9.5.3 is installed.

because of the way theses files are unpacked and copied there are several copies of the the applications.

Once the installation is completed these get cleaned up (but may need manually removing) and so the nett space used is 6GB (not 2Gb as per spec)

if the installation fails then the uninstall does not clean up properly and manual removal of files, directories and registry entries is required, especially if the Update to 9.5.3 is the bit that fails as the original 9.5.0 install when retried advises you have a later version installed.

there is also no option to select a different location as a temp area to install (e.g. a Data disk may have loads of space but Veeam wants to install on C:)
billcouper
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bill Couper

Re: Space required for installation of B&R 9.5.3

Post by billcouper »

You can specify a different disk for installation as per https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
If your C: drive doesn't have 2GB for the temporary files you need to expand it - you're asking for trouble letting C: get that full.
aich365
Service Provider

Post by aich365 »

Hi Bill
Many thanks for your reply. I have noted the option for a different installation directory.

When the installation job started I had 8GB free and the sys req's stated only 2GB was needed. They make no mention of temporary space

In the end 9GB was needed for temp files and the actual install ended up consuming 6GB even though .NET had been previously installed.

The update 3 package remains on the system under program files consuming 1.4GB ....

The system also had SQL2008 and SQL2014 but Veeam installed SQL2012

I am also a bit concerned that manual intervention was required to clean up a failed install and there is no specific "Veeam uninstall" programme that complete this.
Editing the registry is not the best way to go.

thanks again
P.S. 50GB C: drives are the bain of my life...
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

It's not quite clear whether you tried to install 9.5 U3 on a clean machine, or there was 9.5 already in place, would you elaborate, please? If it was a fresh install then all remaining pieces should have been cleaned automatically in case of failure, except for redistributables (SQL, .net)

Thanks
aich365
Service Provider

Post by aich365 »

This was a clean install to replace Backup Exec. There was no previous instance of Veeam on site.

thanks
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Thanks... I will ask documentation team to update it.
aich365
Service Provider

Post by aich365 »

A year on I have tried to install the 9.5.4b upgrade and once again have run out of space.
Sys req show 5GB is needed but we ran out of space at 8GB and it still didn't complete.

it would be nice to be able to specify a temp working directory to unpack and run the upgrade. e.g. Veeamupgrade.exe /t H:\temp
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Clive, noted. Thanks!