Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
cookiejc
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: J Cook

Backing up guest cluster with shared VHDS on SMB storage

Post by cookiejc »

Hi, my case ID is: 02623582

Is anyone on here successfully backing up guest clusters with shared VHDS? I have read several posts on here, TechNet and the following blog suggesting that it is a troublesome feature to make use of https://blog.workinghardinit.work/2017/ ... rver-2016/

I am looking for some specific guidance on what needs to be configured to get this to work. I have configured the Configstorerootpath on my Hyper-V cluster as recommended here: https://www.veeam.com/kb2194 - Although Microsoft Premier support are advising that this shouldn't be configured and will cause live migration issues... I have left it there for now in order to back up

Should guest cluster nodes be on the same host to backup correctly? (in order for the VM collection process to place both VM's in a group)
Should only one node in the cluster be backed up at a time?

I have tried several different configuration with intermittent results. The most common error being failure of the shared VHDS with "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". I have just built a fresh 2016 guest cluster which failed on the first attempt to backup. Any feedback greatly appreciated

[22.02.2018 16:04:54] <24> Error Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Veeam.Backup.Core.CHvVmSource2015.SaveRctIdentifiers(CHvVmReferencePoint referencePoint, List`1 diskBackupObjects)
[22.02.2018 16:04:54] <24> Error at Veeam.Backup.Core.CHvVmSource2015.AfterDisksTransfer(Boolean succeeded)
[22.02.2018 16:04:54] <24> Error at Veeam.Backup.Core.CBackupVmTransferAlg.AfterDisksTransfer(CBackupSet backupSet, Boolean succeeded)
[22.02.2018 16:04:54] <24> Error at Veeam.Backup.Core.CTaskProcessor.ProcessTask(IVmBackupTask task, ITasksScheduler tasksScheduler, LogStorage logStorage, IStopSessionSync stopSessionControl, Boolean disableParallelProcessing)
[22.02.2018 16:04:54] <24> Error at Veeam.Backup.Core.CHvBackupJobPerformer.ExecuteTask(CHvVmTask task, ITaskSource source, CVmBackupTarget target, LogStorage logStorage)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1262 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Backing up guest cluster with shared VHDS on SMB storage

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi J Cook,

There is indeed still a problem with protecting shared VHDS. Although MSFT had promised that it would be possible with the new 2016 backup architecture in Hyper-V, it is still not working as you have noticed in many forum posts and online. For that error, I hope that our support engineers can tell you more. My first idea here would be that there is an issue with the grouping parameters but difficult to say from the log snipping.

Keep us informed about the outcome with support
thanks
Mike
cookiejc
Enthusiast

Post by cookiejc »

Hi Mike, thanks for the response. Do you have any open case / issue reference with Microsoft which we can state when logging a premier support call? Maybe more voices against the same issue will push a solution. I had assumed the issue was on the MSFT side! I should point out tho that we didn't go ahead building Shared VHDS failover clusters until referring to Veeam documentation which does state that performing at least crash consistent backups of VHDS is supported

Thanks,

James
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Yes. Crash consistent should be possible. (Application-awareness should be off). I'll ask to confirm it internally just to be sure.

There is not an official open case from our side at this point in time (there used to be one but...)

However, see this thread: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... Clustering

There are a few case ID's in that thread where you could refer to if MSFT asks.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

In the meantime: Confirmed, crash consistent is indeed supported
cookiejc
Enthusiast

Post by cookiejc »

Hi, I wonder if anyone had an update on this from the Veeam side or in general? We have now implemented shared VHDS across several of our new environments and find the backups and general stability "mixed" at best. Often failures due to vm checkpoint issues. I notice the recent updates on the thread posted here suggest that Microsoft may be washing their hands of these issues until Server 2019!

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... Clustering

What I am really trying to determine is whether this is a general immaturity of this technology or whether we have configured something wrong in every environment.

Many thanks,

James
devalian
Novice

Post by devalian »

yeah would like to know any update on this issue as well. veeam was working for my vhds for a long while, until recently failed to perform. not sure how this going to turn out.