Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
ManOrs
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Manuel Orsatti

Missing veeamsnap-ueficert pkg in openSUSE 15 repo

Post by ManOrs »

Hello,
i noticed there is no "veeamsnap-ueficert" package il openSUSE 15 repo,
should i manually install the one from 42.3 repo? do you plan to add it in 15's repo to have it handy?

Kind Regards,
manuel
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Missing veeamsnap-ueficert pkg in openSUSE 15 repo

Post by PTide »

Hi,

veeamsnap-ueficert package has been added to the repository, thank you for noticing!
ManOrs
Enthusiast

Post by ManOrs »

Hello PTide,
i had to wrestle a bit with mokutil to install the cert:
the rpm installation ended with a message similar to "reboot to install key",
however after the reboot it was asking me for a password i did not know where it was coming from,
in the end i saw the rpm runs mokutil with "--root-pw" as default, which could be a little difficult to manage
(in my specific case i have a root password with some symbols and i have a non-us keyboard)
(and it's not documented, the manual says to run the mokutil command manually, but the rpm actually does it for you)
maybe an hardcoded and documented password it's cleaner?
or not run mokutil through the rpm and only let the user do it manually?

Kind Regards,
manuel
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

in my specific case i have a root password with some symbols and i have a non-us keyboard
Would you elaborate on this one, please? I'm just curious about possible reasons for having a root password that cannot be typed on any Latin keyboard. If your keyboard is non-Latin then it's another story :)

Speaking of changing the default behaviour, for now we can clarify the documentation in such way that it will be clear that mokutil is executed automatically with root-pw directive.

In regards to the proposed changes - I think that hardcoding the password is not what the users who already have their passwords set would be happy to see. So, disabling automatic run of mokutil seems to be the only option.

What do you think?

Thanks
ManOrs
Enthusiast

Post by ManOrs »

Hello PTide,
no non-latin charachter, just a lot of symbols (namely "+-)/@&$") that are difficult to track if the layout is not us,
italian keyboards have "-" where us ones have "/", round parenthesis are shifted one key to the left and so on
(yes, i like my passwords to be as simple as possible, next time i'll probably put in a couple "»«÷×" :lol: )

documenting the "--root-pw" and adding a note on how to bypass it would be the simplest and safest way probably

(bypass being: reboot, do not install the key, run the manual import and set a password of choice, reboot again and import using it)

Kind Regards,
manuel