Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
timofcourse
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim Graffam

Keeping last backup of deleted VM?

Post by timofcourse »

Hi there
For VMs we delete, we'd like to keep the last backup indefinitely in case we ever need to restore if for some purpose. Is this possible to implement into our standard backup jobs (assuming we want to keep more than 1 restore point of other VMs included in the job) or do we need to create a separate job and let it run once for that last backup before removing it?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Keeping last backup of deleted VM?

Post by foggy »

Hi Tim, there's a deleted VMs retention for that, but if you're planning to keep them indefinitely, then I'd suggest VeeamZIP'ing them prior deletion and store them in a separate place.
timofcourse
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim Graffam

Post by timofcourse »

Hi foggy. I am familiar with the VM retention policy, but that doesn't really apply to what we're looking to do since we don't ever want to remove them. We have been doing a manual VM copy through Veeam prior to deletion, but was hoping there was something a bit more automated we could include in our standard backup jobs.

Unfortunately doesnt sound as though that's the case, but thanks for the clarification and speedy response.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, the best you can do is running VeeamZIP against VMs you're going to delete.
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Post by stuartmacgreen »

I am following this practice of using VeeamZIP for final standalone backups of a VM I wish to remove and keep only short-term.

My query is the option Delete this backup automatically.

The documentation states:
Use the Delete this backup automatically list to specify retention settings for the created VeeamZIP file. By default, VeeamZIP files are not removed and kept in the specified location for an indefinite period of time.

So if I create a VeeamZIP of a VM and set the period to delete 1 month, once the VeeamZIP has been successful I will delete the VM from production storage.
Where in Veeam do I find what the period to delete is set? And since the VM is no longer on production storage will Veeam actually delete it after 1 month?

Just curious.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

stuartmacgreen wrote:Where in Veeam do I find what the period to delete is set?
Do you mean the ability to see VeeamZIP backup retention after it is created? There's no such functionality (it is stored in the database though).
stuartmacgreen wrote:And since the VM is no longer on production storage will Veeam actually delete it after 1 month?
Yes, the backup will be deleted according to the retention you specify prior performing VeeamZIP.
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Post by stuartmacgreen »

@foggy Thanks for these answers.