Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
NelsonC
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Nelson Andrés Carrillo Gonzalez

Integration of Veeam with VMware vVOL and Appliance Backup.

Post by NelsonC »

I would like to speak on this occasion about two issues that are present today as market needs and that some students have even asked me in the Veeam and VMware courses:

The first is the integration of Veeam Backup & Replicator with storage technologies software defined as VSAN and vVOL (Virtual Volume) VMware know if VSAN to transport VM data residing in VSAN used mode Virtual Appliance in which the proxy backup role must be assigned to a VM that must reside in any of the ESXi hosts connected to the VSAN cluster. But in regards to vVOL I have not seen information about the Veeam integration with this technology and I would like to ask if it is already supported with the new versions of Veeam Backup & Replicator.

The second issue that we have found especially in the bidding process is the requirement in sheets that promptly request hardware or physical backup appliance where the integrated hardware and software come and I would like to ask how Veeam Backup & Replicator addresses these requirements.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Integration of Veeam with VMware vVOL and Appliance Back

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Yes, Veeam fully supports vVOLs for a long time now - basically since the time they were first introduced by VMware.

And yes, we had our partners assembling and selling pre-built all-in-one Veeam appliance for many years now.
esiebert7625
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Eric Siebert

Post by esiebert7625 » 1 person likes this post

Be aware VVols and direct to SAN backup via a physical backup appliance is not supported though.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Correct, this is not something VMware supports in general with VDDK.
orb
Service Provider
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Olivier

Re: Integration of Veeam with VMware vVOL and Appliance Backup.

Post by orb »

Direct SAN support for vVOLs, here is Cody from PureStorage statement during one of his VMworld US 2019, it is stupid, I am going to fix that :)
Oh well, let's see what the future bring us. Sadly another show stopper for vVol usage espcially when the customer use FC but still has his network at 1G :(

Oli