Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
kodision
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ralph Heijnen

Veeam Agent workstation or server edition

Post by kodision »

Hello,

We are currently using Veeam Backup and replication for our virtual environtment backup. We would like to integrate veaam agent for some physical servers.
I'm don't know if the workstation edition would fit for these servers.

1. We would like veeam agent to backup the full domain controller for disaster recovery
2. A fileserver but we only want to backup some folders on it not the whole server

Bot servers run Server 2012R2.

Would the workstation edition fit for this?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Agent workstation or server edition

Post by Dima P. »

Hello kodision,

The main difference between Workstation and Server editions is that server edition provides application consistancy. If you dont need application aware processing and you are ok with workstation schedule options you can use workstation edition. You can also check the Editions Comparison for more details.
stevehughes
Service Provider
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Steve Hughes

Post by stevehughes »

Just on this issue of server vs workstation, it appears to me that the workstation licence allows only one backup job. This means it cannot backup to both local storage and CloudConnect.

Am I missing something? It seems over the top to force a user to pay for a server licence just so he can backup his PC to two locations.

Thanks,
Steve
SasoB
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times

Post by SasoB »

Its the same with server license, currently you cannot schedule 2 jobs or two backup locations in one job.
stevehughes
Service Provider
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Steve Hughes

Post by stevehughes »

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought the server licence allowed multiple jobs, but I'm new to the Agent.

So it would seem then that unless the agent sends its backups to a B&R repository there is no way to get both an onsite and an offsite backup. That pretty well cans it as a stand-alone backup solution.

Surely I must be missing something?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

So it would seem then that unless the agent sends its backups to a B&R repository there is no way to get both an onsite and an offsite backup. That pretty well cans it as a stand-alone backup solution.
The workaround would be to set the local repository up and use it as a target for backup agent. For secondary copy you can configure backup copy job to the main repository.