Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
viv-it
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Roger Leonard

veeam compression

Post by viv-it »

using veeam b&r 5.0 running on win2k8-r2 server with vsphere. first time user.
i have 3 linux vms on a seperate ESX server that i just did a full backup of to my local veeam server c:\backups dir. i set up one job that did all three and kicked it off.
according to the backup report it successfully backed up 550G of data in just over an hour. quite impressive. but, when i look at the backups dir, i see one single vbk file that is only around 6GB in size. am i missing something here or does this product do some unbelievable compression? is this all the data on all three vm's ?? i haven't tried a restore yet and will be shortly but just want to know if this is what i should be seeing.

thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: veeam compression

Post by Gostev »

Remember that Veeam is doing not just compression, but also deduplication. It sounds like all 3 servers you are backing up are very similar, so essentially once we backed up data from 1st server, the other two do not add to backup size too much. Additionally, it looks like your servers either contain little actual data (disks are mostly empty), or very well compressable data (text).
viv-it
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Roger Leonard

Re: veeam compression

Post by viv-it »

that does seem to be the case. the servers themselves are lightly populated at this point. i guess i am used to the old manual way we did it before that ate up some much disk space. having just set this product and vsphere server up to get a handle on my esx sprawl, i have to say that i am quite impressed. my biggest worry up to this point has been how to back up all my vm's and this seems to do it nicely. i am on to the windows backups now. thanks for the quick reply.