Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Some stats take more than 5 min to update

Post by pufferdude »

I'm running Veeam Monitor 5 (full version) and when I view the "Last 5 min stats" screen (Under Top VMs) some of the stats seem to take a LOT longer than 5 min to update. The primary example is "Top snapshot users" pane. If I have machines showing in that pane and then remove a snapshot from one (or all) of them, it can take upwards of 30 minutes before the pane updates and reflects the actual snapshot usage. Is this due to a problem in Veeam Monitor, or is vCenter itself not updating the data in a timely fashion, thus keeping Monitor in the dark?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Some stats take more than 5 min to update

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jim,

Let me try to explain this behaviour. The point is that snapshot information is gathered through datastore tasks, while performance data is collected with a separate flow through VI API. Getting snapshot information requires full datastore scan, only this approach guarantees finding all hidden/orphaned snapshots which are not visible via Snapshot Manager, thus meaning not visible to vCenter Server either.

Please be aware that all datastore tasks are triggered one by one, this is done in order not to stress vCenter Server/ESX(i) hosts with intensive scan tasks. So this is expected to have some sort of a delay before snapshot information is updated and displayed on the TOPs tab.

Thanks.
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Re: Some stats take more than 5 min to update

Post by pufferdude »

Thanks for the detail, makes sense!