Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
benrich

Questions about the new license model

Post by benrich »

Hello, everybody,
currently a customer of mine is using the VEEAM Agent for Windows as standalone version. He pays about 100€ per year according to the subscription license, because he has only 1 physical server and secures only this one server.
Is it right that he
1. due to the new licensing model of VEEAM Agent for Windows he has to book directly 10 instances (at least 3 physical servers), which means that it costs 1044€ per year to use a VEEAM Agent for Windows as standalone version? (https://www.veeam.com/de/agents-windows ... icing.html)
2. Does this also count for existing customers?
3. Why is the Veeam Agent for Windows so expensive compared to Backup and Replication? VBR costs in the standard version "only" 348€ (https://www.veeam.com/de/products-editi ... rison.html)
4. Is the new VBR Community Edition a possibility to secure the customer's 1 physical server for free? Or is it not possible to secure physical servers?
5. I have been very happy with the Agent for Windows in the standalone version so far. I found 100€ for it a suitable amount. Is there no such possibility for a single server for a similar annual amount anymore?

Thank you very much!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Questions about the new license model

Post by Gostev »

Hello!

1. Not exactly right, there's about 3 times cheaper option called Veeam Essentials.

2. Yes.

3. See 1, same price.

4. Yes, Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition support protections of physical servers. However, I understand your customer is using Server Edition standalone Veeam Agent for Windows, which is a different offering. I assume your customer will not want to install backup server just to protect a single server, so for this case Veeam Essentials is a better way to go.

5. No, we removed this option completely because it makes no business sense for Veeam (we're loosing money on such sales).

But I mentioned you noted that the customer is "your client". Do you happen to manage their backups? If yes, then one other option will be for you to register with Veeam as a service provider, which will make you eligible for rental licenses. Rental licensing allows you (as a managed service provider) to buy a single license to use across all your clients. For example, you can buy a single 10 instances license, and use one to protect data of your 10 customers, each only having 1 server. The only caveat is this has to be backup as a managed service you're delivering to your clients (for example, they will not be able to open a support case without you, etc.)

Thanks!
greenieofdubbo
Novice
Liked: never

[MERGED] Veeam Agent for Windows Licensing

Post by greenieofdubbo »

Hello

I'm confused about the licencing options for Veeam Agent for Windows. Currently running the free version on a Windows 10 PC, however would like to run multiple jobs. I.e. a job to a USB disk and another to an online repository.

It seems Veeam Agent for Windows Workstation/Server can only be purchased as part of backup essentials or availability suite. If i was to purchase backup essentials, i would just run the full backup and recovery product.

What am I missing? Can Veeam Agent for Windows, either workstation or server be purchased independently?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Agent for Windows Licensing

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

There are no SKUs for the standalone agent (one unit), however, you may want to contact one of our managed service providers to discuss the backup as a service scenario.

Thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Questions about the new license model

Post by Gostev »

As an end user, the minimum purchase would be Veeam Essentials at $400/yr for 5 licenses.