Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
pmansfield
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Veeam keeps marking the Tape library as offline

Post by pmansfield »

I don't know what triggers it, but the tape library only stays online for a few days, and then Veeam says it's offline and won't talk to it. The library itself hasn't been power cycled, disconnected or had anything else done to it that would cause it from a hardware point of view.

In Veeam, if I go Tape Infrastructure -> Offline Tapes -> Quantum Scaler i40-i80 153G, right click the library and choose Rescan
It pops up the job progress window, but it just says: Tape library QUANTUM Scalar i40-i80 153G (offline) appears to be offline
There doesn't appear to be any other way of getting the library online.

Restarting the tape library doesn't help, and I can't keep rebooting the Veeam server every couple of days. The library is a Scalar i40 with a pair of HP LTO-5 drives in it, and with EMC Networker, it ran pretty much flawlessly.

Veeam is 9.0.0.1491.

Any ideas?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam keeps marking the Tape library as offline

Post by Dima P. »

Hi pmansfield,

Strange behavior. If I were you, I’d check the way library is connected to ‘tape proxy’. If that does not help and all the cords are fine, check with our support team as it should be possible to identify the root cause by checking the debug logs.
andyman3000
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andy Perkins

Post by andyman3000 »

I have this problem Quantum i6 LTO7 FC. Tape server is remote of primary VBR server. Tapes attached to primary VBR server(s) or backup repository never have this problem.
larrywl
Lurker

Post by larrywl »

Same here with HP MSL G3 Series 7.10. Attached to tape proxy server (not Veeam B&R server).
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,

This might be a connection or hardware issue but I'd recommend you to check with our support team. Please raise a support case and do not forget to share the case id in this thread. Cheers!
acatic
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by acatic »

Having same issue lately; MSL 2024 library. Latest Veeam 9.5.4.2866. Happens every couple days. Did any solution or hints pop up? It would work for me for a while, sometimes writing a couple jobs to tape, then fail and continue failing. Server reboot tends to help. Library is connected to main B&R server.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hello Acatic,

The best way to get it sorted would be to raise a support case since detailed log analysis is required.

Thanks and Happy Christmas!
chalkynz
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Nathan Shaw

Post by chalkynz »

Yeah same issue for me. If nobody has any current insights, I will log a case. I'd blame hardware usually, but not sure in this case, feels a bit odd.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Greetings, Nathan.

No case IDs were shared in this thread yet, so it is hard to track the resolution status of reported issues.
I would say your case ID could be first one here to solve the mystery! Support team will be glad to assist.

/Cheers!
tcogley
Lurker
Full Name: Tim Cogley

Post by tcogley »

We've been running into this for 6 months now. I started recently and am working through it. Our Case # 04793020.

I've rescanned and get errors:

Code: Select all

5/6/2021 2:41:55 PM Error    Discovering tape libraries on server BACKUP
5/6/2021 2:41:55 PM Error    Failed to connect to tape libraries on server BACKUP. Error: '?', hexadecimal value 0x03, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 30.
I created a new Tape server with the same outcome. Any suggestions would be great.

-Tim
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Tim,

Thanks for your post, please keep working with our support team as debug log analysis is required to understand the root cause. Let us know how the investigation goes!