Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
govi
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Govinda Naik

Unable see Dell RD1000 Tape Drive

Post by govi »

Hi Team,

I am unable to see Dell RD 1000 Tape drive in Veeam Backup and Replication 9.5 Update 2 library console. Please Note that Tape drive is connected through USB to Vcenter server and on same server B&R software installed (VM). As per below Knowledge base it says tape drive Connection Types should be Fibre Channel (FC) ,Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) ,SCSI from below knowledge base (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/ ... pport.html). This type drive has only USB connection.

Is there any way where B&R software recognizes the tape drive? if yes can you please provide me steps.

Thanks,

Govinda Naik
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Unable see Dell RD1000 Tape Drive

Post by Dima P. »

Hello govi,

RDX system should be used as a regular repository with Rotated Drive option enabled. Check this article for more details and let me know if you need any further assistance.
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi »

Thanks for the reply. I have created regular repository with Rotated Drive option enabled. What is is the recommended option to move backup on this rotated drive.Meaning moving directly from Infrastructure to Rotated Drive or Move Backup Job copy on this rotated Drive. Please suggest best method and how to accomplish it.

Thanks Again.
Govi
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

govi,

It’s up to you, but I’d rather use Rotated Drives in conjunction with backup copy job to keep the secondary copy of backup files.
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi »

Hi Dima,

I have more query when we make tape drive as rotated drive.

Example. I have two tapes 1 TB of each. Lets say I have done backup on tape 1 and space is almost full so I insert tape 2 in tape drive and continue backing up.

Incase of crash which tape do I need to use to restore the VM since half chain of backup will be store on tape 1 and remaining will be stored on tape 2. When I insert tape 1 it might look for latest backup chain which is in Tape 2. If I insert tape 2 in tape drive it will look for older chain which is in tape 1.

So I am not sure how this kind of scenario will be handled or there is no dependency on old chain.

Thanks,

Govi
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Govi,
In case of crash which tape do I need to use to restore the VM since half chain of backup will be store on tape 1 and remaining will be stored on tape 2. When I insert tape 1 it might look for latest backup chain which is in Tape 2. If I insert tape 2 in tape drive it will look for older chain which is in tape 1.
In order to run a restore you must have the whole backup chain available. If your full backup file is stored on two tapes you must load both of them. If you what to perform a recovery from an incremental restore point you must have access to the whole backup chain.
govi
Enthusiast

Post by govi »

HI Dima,

Thanks for the reply. I will try to test this and let you know if I face any issue.

Thanks once again for your help.

Govi
brentaarnold
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Brent Arnold

[MERGED] Dell RD1000, V9.5 Community Edition

Post by brentaarnold »

Hello all,

I have a Dell RD1000 with 5 1TB tapes for daily incremental backups. I'm running Hyper-V on Server 2012 with Veeam 9.5 V4 - Community Edition. I'd like to backup my three VM's to the RD1000 every week night.

What is the correct way to configure this? I do not know how to add the E:\ (the RD1000 drive) to Veeam in order to become a backup destination.

Thank you!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Re: Dell RD1000, V9.5 Community Edition

Post by Dima P. »

Brent,

If I am not missing anything this device is and RDX system, thus should not be used/registered as tape device at all. Please review this thread and let us know if you need any further assistance. Cheers!