Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
AlexanderDonov
Expert
Liked: never

Performance Data Period: Free Version

Post by AlexanderDonov »

Hello! I am currently using the Veeam Monitor Free Edition to monitor some ESXi hosts that I have. I noticed that under the summary tab of the Virtual Infrastructure it displays the Performance Data Period. Since I am using the free version, I can not utilize that the full window for reports etc, so is there a way to clear that data for a period of time so it doesnt cause the database to grow large?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Hello sixth, I will ask developers if we can provide a script to clean up database for you.
AlexanderDonov
Expert

Post by AlexanderDonov »

Thanks Gostev! That would be great!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Sixth, apparently the capability of automatically cleaning outdated perfomance and events data already exists in the product.

You will need to add the following key on the computer with Monitor collector service installed:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Monitor for VMware Infrastructure 3\Service
OutOfDatePerfData (DWORD)

And specify value in seconds determining how much data you want to keep (the rest will be deleted by the service). For free version it makes sense to put 60 x 60 x 24 = 86400. Default setting is 1 year.

The above setting will affect performance data only. If you want, you can make the same change for events data via OutOfDateEvents value (default value for events is 31 days).

Hope this helps!
AlexanderDonov
Expert

Post by AlexanderDonov »

Gostev-

Thanks for the information, I made the change this morning and restarted the Veeam service from the console. I think its working correctly, I will continue to monitor but looks good.

Two quick questions how will the free version users be notified when there is an update available for the software?

Also, how many hosts can be monitored in the free version? I know it was posted somewhere but I cant seem to find that information.

Thanks again for your support! :-)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hello sixth,

1. We send new release notifications as a part of our newsletter to all registered users on the email address supplied during registration (before downloading the product bits), no matter what product they downloaded. So you should be receiving product releases notifications unless you have unsubscribed from our newsletter.

2. Number of hosts is unlimited. Our goal was to release useful tool to address basic monitoring needs for environments of any size (and Veeam Monitor is well armed with architecture capable to support very large VI deployments). We do have some limitations, but only around advanced enterprise functionality. You can review them in the Release Notes document.

In the future versions, we plan to expand both free and enterprise feature subset depending on feedback we receive from our customers. But currently there are no plans to limit the number of hosts you can monitor with free version.
sixth
Enthusiast

Post by sixth »

Thanks Gostev! I have been very happy with product, thanks for bringing something like to the market, especially with the current economic times its tough to push a large software purchase.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Sixth, I am glad that you are liking it! All we are looking to get in return is your feedback on missing features and functionality. Please help us make it even better! I can tell you that 80% of version 4.0 features are based on actual feedback and feature requests from version 3.0 customers (and 20% is our own innovation). This is just to show how seriously we treat our customers' feedback. So please do submit it.

And before you ask, we aim to release the next version somewhere in Q2 2009. :)