Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Titanmike
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: ZeGerman

Per Job email notification

Post by Titanmike »

This really needs to be changed :)

We have a lot of jobs which running once a night but we also have one job which runs continuesly. Inside the job I have disabled email notification but it still sends an email after completion based on the global settings every few minutes.

Another issue really is that you cannot configure email notifications per job so it will always use the global settings. Sometimes you want emails send only to a specific account and not in addition to the one set in the global settings..

So it would really be great if you could set this per account, including sender and recepient ...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Per Job email notification

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Michael, thanks for your feedback, makes sense.
flavor4real
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

Post by flavor4real »

@Titanmike
I thought the same a time ago. This would be a great feature since I could setup additional recipients for a specific job. I could add several programmers to be notified when a error occurred during Share Point backups. If this feature would be implemented, please add customization like a notification on error, warning or success. thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

flavor4real wrote:This would be a great feature since I could setup additional recipients for a specific job. I could add several programmers to be notified when a error occurred during Share Point backups.
This is possible today though, you can already have different notification recipients per job.
Titanmike
Enthusiast

Post by Titanmike »

Gostev wrote: This is possible today though, you can already have different notification recipients per job.
BUT, it ALSO sends the notification to the globally set email even if the additional recipient per job is left empty. Also you cannot change the FROM address per job which is a lot more important when monitoring backup jobs ;-)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Actually, I was responding to flavor4real here - based on what he said it looks like he does not realize this is possible (the feature was only added in v5).

As for global notifications recipients (your issue), workaround today would be to NOT have any global recipients defined at all, and only use per-job recipients.

Global recipients features was designed exactly for the purpose of recipients who should get reports about ALL jobs, no matter of notification settings on specific jobs, so that no issues can be "hidden" by lower level admins managing specific jobs from these "super admins". So modification you are proposing is simply against the whole idea behind the feature of global notification recipients.

I would say, more correct approach to resolve your issue would be to optimize the amount of notifications produced by periodic jobs, reducing them 1 per hour summary or something. Because I am sure per-job recipients do not appreciate being bombed by these emails every few seconds either? :wink:
Titanmike
Enthusiast

Post by Titanmike »

Gostev wrote:Actually, I was responding to flavor4real here - based on what he said it looks like he does not realize this is possible (the feature was only added in v5).

As for global notifications recipients (your issue), workaround today would be to NOT have any global recipients defined at all, and only use per-job recipients.

Global recipients features was designed exactly for the purpose of recipients who should get reports about ALL jobs, no matter of notification settings on specific jobs, so that no issues can be "hidden" by lower level admins managing specific jobs from these "super admins". So modification you are proposing is simply against the whole idea behind the feature of global notification recipients.

I would say, more correct approach to resolve your issue would be to optimize the amount of notifications produced by periodic jobs, reducing them 1 per hour summary or something. Because I am sure per-job recipients do not appreciate being bombed by these emails every few seconds either? :wink:
What am I missing here

1. I don't see a setting which allows us to send notifications per schedule. If you mean setting a backup schedule to a lower frequency then no, this is not even a workaround obviously.

2. Removing the global recipient : Not possible. This is a mandatory field as soon as you enable notifications and each job cannot specify an SMTP server so you NEED to enable the global one to start with.

Could you please clarify ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Titanmike wrote:1. I don't see a setting which allows us to send notifications per schedule. If you mean setting a backup schedule to a lower frequency then no, this is not even a workaround obviously.
This is not in the product today, this is how I think it would be better to resolve your issue (notification spam from periodic jobs).
Titanmike wrote:2. Removing the global recipient : Not possible. This is a mandatory field as soon as you enable notifications and each job cannot specify an SMTP server so you NEED to enable the global one to start with.
Not a problem, you can just put some random email address, or some unused account with unmonitored mailbox there.
Titanmike
Enthusiast

Post by Titanmike »

Gostev wrote:Not a problem, you can just put some random email address, or some unused account with unmonitored mailbox there.
That is a dirty workaround and not a solution is it :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

To me, this is a perfect solution. First, it does the job (what you thought is not possible). Second, it does this for you today - versus having to wait for a year or two for some new product version with "clean" fix. That's the part I usually like the most when I am having any sort of issue myself ;)
Titanmike
Enthusiast

Post by Titanmike »

Gostev wrote:To me, this is a perfect solution. First, it does the job (what you thought is not possible). Second, it does this for you today - versus having to wait for a year or two for some new product version with "clean" fix. That's the part I usually like the most when I am having any sort of issue myself ;)
Sorry, I am working with Veeam in several locations backing up 100s of VMs and to be fair - using a fake email address or an account created specifically for this case is a rubbish response .. even though you like it personally ...

Imagine backing up 500 VMs with some of which have 50+ restore points, sending 100s of emails ...

This will either a) fill up the queues on the SMTP server (when using IIS for example) because they cannot be delivered or b) fills up a dummy mailbox no one monitors. You could probably create rules to delete those emails straight away but doing all that should not be necessary to be honest.

I guess all we can do is wait for ........... 1 or 2 years :shock:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Titanmike wrote:Sorry, I am working with Veeam in several locations backing up 100s of VMs and to be fair - using a fake email address or an account created specifically for this case is a rubbish response .. even though you like it personally ...
So nice to hear back "rubbish response" while still sitting in the office at 8pm, after having spent much time today posting all these responses and trying to help and provide immediate workaround to an issue you are facing. May be I should stop posting workarounds on these forums altogether, and setup a bot to reply "Thanks for your feedback, we will look into addressing this in the future releases" to every topic :mrgreen: guess this in no way can be considered "rubbish response", even though it is absolutely useless.
Titanmike
Enthusiast

Post by Titanmike »

Gostev wrote:So nice to hear back "rubbish response" while still sitting in the office at 8pm, after having spent much time today posting all these responses and trying to help and provide immediate workaround to an issue you are facing. May be I should stop posting workarounds on these forums altogether, and setup a bot to reply "Thanks for your feedback, we will look into addressing this in the future releases" to every topic :mrgreen: guess this in no way can be considered "rubbish response", even though it is absolutely useless.
Sorry, I am approchaing my 19th hour in the datacenter for migrations so I gladly swap your 8pm - certain lack of coffe makes me all twitchy :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Uh, I am on about same schedule myself for past few days, and this makes me more sensitive than usual too. Haha ;)
Titanmike
Enthusiast

Post by Titanmike »

Gostev wrote:Uh, I am on about same schedule myself for past few days, and this makes me more sensitive than usual too. Haha ;)
That's IT for yea ... we should go into pig farming instead .. early mornings, but early finishes too :P :mrgreen:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

You mean Farmville on Facebook? Haha :)
kabe
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: ka be

Post by kabe »

Hello,
I have "the same" problem.
Global notifications with different recipient are confgured, me as external party too. The customer want to backup empty VMware folder daily. In case that the infrastructure team insert VMs without to communicate, the VMs are protected too. So I got every day 12 e-mails with "Nothing to process. All machines were excluded from task list." It is annoying. The main problem is, that the other team mebers ignore the mails and made a outlook rule to move it to the trash bin. It happened that nobody saw other error mails because they thought it is the daily spam.

So with the newest Veeam version - is it possible to deactivate E-Mail for a couple of jobs? To change the global notification and update the job specific is not an option, I guess. Only if there is a bulk update function.
Maybe there are reg exclusion like SQL Instances...

Thank you :)
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor » 1 person likes this post

A the moment there's not other way then disabling the global notifications. But I had a similar problem with notifications and there may be a change coming in V12; perhaps this will also solve your problem.
kabe
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: ka be

Post by kabe »

Thanks for your information Regnor :)
Regards