Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Gabrie van Zanten

Want to read VBK on non-Veeam system

Post by GabesVirtualWorld »

Hi

Application vendor wants to test an issue that is occurring in his application running in a VM on our site. He needs a copy quite some data inside the VM and I thought I send him the VBK file from the last backup. He would than only need to mount the VBK file on his Windows desktop, see the directories and files and copy them out of the backup.

Is this possible? I read about the extract utility but that extracts the vmx, vmdk, etc. I would like him to be able to mount the VBK read only.

Or is the only option to install Veeam trail on their system?

Gabrie
Alexey D.

Re: Want to read VBK on non-Veeam system

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello Gabrie,

Yes, you can use our extract utility and then use Vmware DiskMount (or any other similar tool) to mount .vmdk file as a regular Windows drive. In this case, no need to install B&R console.

Does it work for you?
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Gabrie van Zanten

Post by GabesVirtualWorld »

Alexey D. wrote:Hello Gabrie,

Yes, you can use our extract utility and then use Vmware DiskMount (or any other similar tool) to mount .vmdk file as a regular Windows drive. In this case, no need to install B&R console.

Does it work for you?
That is what I came up with too and will work for now. Ideally though I wouldnt want to first extract the vbk file and do like you do with Guest File level restore, just mount the vbk on the Veeam Server.

Gabrie
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Since .vbk is a proprietary format, there's no way to shorten the path.
Or, just install a trial version of B&R on your vendor's machine (as you suggested), should also work smoothly.