Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Daviddg86
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: David De Grandpre

Double licensed VMs

Post by Daviddg86 »

When I logged into Veeam I got this warning: "Your license limit has been exceeded by 41 VMs." When I check my list of licensed VMs a lot of them are 2 or even 3 times in the list. I would like to know if I should just revoke the duplicated licenses. And if so does which license I revoke is important.

Thanks,
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Double licensed VMs

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello and welcome to the community Daviddg86,

To revoke consumed licenses open main menu and open License window. Navigate to the corresponding tab (instances or sockets), select the vms you would like to revoke license for and click revoke. Take a look at this Help Center article to learn more and let us know if that helps. Cheers!
Daviddg86
Novice
Full Name: David De Grandpre

Post by Daviddg86 »

Thanks for the reply,

I would just like to know if revoking those licenses could have an impact on some jobs. I would also like to know if which duplicate I revoke is important or if I can revoke any of them as long as there is a minimum of 1 licenses by server.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

David,

Backup job updates the license consumption before it starts the backup process. If you accidentally revoke the license from VM which is still listed in the backup job, such VM will automatically get the license counter back with the next job start.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Sounds like you registered individual ESXi hosts instead of vCenter with Veeam. So as VMs travel between hosts, they appear new to Veeam.
mckaj
Novice

Post by mckaj »

Hi anyone else that sees this. Another circumstance that can cause this.

We had a NAS connectivity issue which to fix (probably incorrectly) we removed and readded the host to vsphere.

In addition to Veeam thinking every single VM was a new VM (our next incremental for each type of job essentially was a full backup which was a real "ouch" for our storage), all of our licenses were duplicated.

In addition, all of our new instance licenses were duplicated. it is impossible to see which one is the newer one, so per this post will delete all licenses so everything resets, and get back to forum if this causes any unexpected issues.

Cheers
AM
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Upon re-adding hosts to vCenter server all VMs got new MorefIds, which made backup server believe those were brand new VMs. So, the described behaviour is expected.

Thanks!