PowerShell script exchange
mdxyz
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times

PowerShell module backward compatibility

Post by mdxyz »

Hi,

We have access to multiple Veeam servers that we would like to talk to via the PowerShell plugin from a single management box. The issue we have is that it appears all Veeam servers need to be at the same patch level, there is no backwards/downwards compatibility.

For example, our management server has the 9.5 U3 console installed, but one of the servers we're connecting to is on 9.5 U2. The error we get when connecting via powershell is fairly clear:

Code: Select all

Veeam.Backup.Core.Common.CClientServerVersionsException
Backup server has an earlier version (9.5.0.1038) than this console (9.5.0.1536). Please logon to the server locally and update it to the latest version using the local console, then try again.
It would be great if the latest version of the console was able to connect to older versions of Veeam, it's a bit disappointing that a patch would completely break connectivity. Is there a way around this without patching every instance of Veeam at exactly the same time to avoid issues (not practical), or are there any plans to improve compatibility in the future?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: PowerShell module backward compatibility

Post by veremin »

The error we get when connecting via powershell is fairly clear.
I think you will get the very same error, if you connect to the 9.5 U2 server with 9.5 U3 backup console. So, for now version parity is a requirement.

You can bypass that only by having multiple consoles or snap-ins installed on different machines (quite tedious, I know).

Anyway, thank you for the feedback; highly appreciated.
mdxyz
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times

Post by mdxyz »

So, for now version parity is a requirement.
"for now" makes it sound like there is hope in the future :), as you said, running multiple servers for different console versions isn't really a good solution.

I have found a workaround, we can use PSRemoting to invoke a function on the remote server, which then loads the local (to the remote server) powershell snapin. Not ideal, but suitable for our current needs. Sample code:

Code: Select all

function Get-VeeamJobsExample {
    Add-PSSnapin VeeamPSSnapin
    $Jobs = Get-VBRJob | select name
    Write-Output $Jobs
}

$Username = "backupadmin" 
$Password = "dont_put_passwords_in_your_scripts_this_is_an_example" | ConvertTo-SecureString -Force -AsPlainText
$Credentials = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential($Username, $Password)
$Server = "1.1.1.1"

$VeeamInfo = Invoke-Command -ComputerName $Server -Credential $Credentials -ScriptBlock ${function:Get-VeeamJobsExample}
Write-Output $VeeamInfo
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

The only other option is to deal with this currently is to go back to the old way of doing things by using Powershell remote to execute any PS code locally on the specific Veeam server. In cases where there are many VBR servers of different versions, and you can't be sure they are all updated at the same time, PS remoting is the only practical method, however, it of course has weaknesses as well.

EDIT -- Ha, you must have posted at nearly the same moment I did! Indeed that is the best compromise I've been able to find for the time being.
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Post by tdewin »

Just to add, I remember this interesting thread from a fellow forum member:
powershell-f26/install-pssnapin-on-a-co ... ml#p252776
tom_nl
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times

Post by tom_nl »

Hi,
Is backwards compatibility of Veeam Powershell on the roadmap?
With an environment of 70+ B&R servers this is almost a must. We cannot keep all those installations on the same version.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Is backwards compatibility of Veeam Powershell on the roadmap?
There are no immediate plans. PowerShell snap-in is strictly tied to backup console which does not work with backup servers of newer or older versions.

I do understand your frustration, but want to set clear and proper expectations.

Thank you for understanding.