Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cvoisey
Lurker
Liked: never

VEEAM and Exchange 2010 backup

Post by cvoisey »

Is there a guide available specifically for backing up Exchange data & logs?
Googling does not seem to turn up much info.

As an effort to save space I'd like to back up only the Exchange related data, rather than the entire machine.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: VEEAM and Exchange 2010 backup

Post by Gostev »

Veeam is an image-level backup solution, not file level. You can only backup the entire machine. Note that non-Exchange related data (OS files) are typically quite small comparing to Exchange data. Moreover, because of built-in deduplication, most of this data is only stored once when you are backing up multiple VMs.

Exchange VM backup is straightforward with Veeam, so really no guides are required. You can backup this VM normally, just like any other VM, but be sure to enable application-aware processing setting in the backup job wizard. With this option enabled, backup engine will recognize that there is Exchange running in the VM, and will perform additional backup steps specific to Exchange.

Thanks.
cvoisey
Lurker

Post by cvoisey »

Thank very much for the information.
jftuga
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: John Taylor

Post by jftuga »

I think the next question you should consider is how to restore Exchange data stores, mailboxes, individual emails, calendar events, etc.

-John
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Database files can be restored with our instant file level restore functionality, and for Exchange item level restores v5 ships the dedicated wizard (there are tons of existing discussions about it).
Gotenks
Lurker
Full Name: Gotenks

Post by Gotenks »

Gostev wrote:Moreover, because of built-in deduplication, most of this data is only stored once when you are backing up multiple VMs.
Does this mean you have to put all VM's in one Job to do backups at the same time to get this functionality? I have 3 jobs and they point to different folder locations in the NFS. Am I doing it wrong?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

To get higher deduplication ratio, it is advisable to have fewer jobs with more VMs each. It is not necessary though to backup all VMs with one job - if you group VMs made from the same template, you will still have perfect deduplication along with the ability to run several concurrent jobs that result in shorter backup window.
linux4guru
Enthusiast
Full Name: Thomas Lam

Post by linux4guru »

Just curious on how the network i/o be if you are doing a very first veeam backup of your E14. We have two E14 in a VM envi and each E14 combined during veeam backup will exceed 2TB - so there is no way for me to even consider veeam backup to backup E14 unless I create at least two more exchange and migrate some users out to the new servers.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

What is the problem with exceeding 2TB size for backup size?