Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
vmbackupuser
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

FLR Restore error 'failed to connect to VM on port 2500'

Post by vmbackupuser »

Hi,
We recently virtualized new RHEL Linux VMs, and have successfully performed backups. However, when I attempt the File-Level Restore (FLR) I consistently get the error: 'Failed to connect to ip address:2500'. The ip address referred to in the error is that of the live/target linux VM.
This error occurs despite the following:
-No firewall running on Veeam server (32bit Win 2003 w/VeeamBackup 5.02)
-IP Tables disabled on target linux VM
-I'm able to successfully manually telnet from Veeam server to target VM on ports 2500:2510
-I've even manually opened ports 2500:2510 on the ESX Hosts firewall (not sure if this is manual change actually required or not)

I've logged a support call and sent in logs & a screenshot. (ID#5139339)

Any additional advice or clarity on what I might be missing would be greatly appreciated.
These new Linux VMs are due to go live soon, and would love to ensure the FLR functionality is working as designed.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: FLR Restore error 'failed to connect to VM on port 2500'

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It still looks like a firewall issue to me, see similar thread over here: Cannot connect to server :2500

I would suggest doing a quick WebEx session with one of our engineers, as everything should be working just fine.
vmbackupuser
Enthusiast

Post by vmbackupuser »

Hi, I had a look at the post previously, but it seemed inconclusive, no definitive resolution mentioned there.
One of your engineers has suggested I may have configured the FLR Appliance on the wrong network, and that it should be on the 'production network'. I awaiting further feedback on this, after sending additional screenshots of our FLR Appliance config and the network config of the target/production VM.

I've configured the FLR Appliance to reside on the private non-routed network with the ESX hosts.
Apparently, I should re-configure the FLR Appliance to be on the same network as the target/production VM, not the ESX Hosts network?
vmbackupuser
Enthusiast

Post by vmbackupuser »

Yup, Just tried that suggestion, and the FLR restore completed successfully.
I guess this means the FLR Appliance vlan assignment needs to be changed each time your target VM is in a different vlan on the vsphere farm.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Glad that you've managed to resolve this issue. Yes, the appliance should be placed in the same network where a restored VM is located.
WouterS
Novice
Liked: never

[MERGED] FLR Linux - failed to connect to <ip>:2500

Post by WouterS »

Hello,

When I'm doing a FLR to a Linux server I am having problems with restoring the files to the production machine. I am able to start the FLR tempoary VM and browse all the content from the backupped VM. I have also added the production machine as a Linux server with "add server" and I am able to dirlist everything of this server in VEEAM.

But when I click a file and do "copy to" and select the destintation server (produxtion machine) I get "failed to connect to <ip>:2501".

Why is it connecting to port 250x? Shouldn't this file transfer go over SSH?

THanks!
vmbackupuser
Enthusiast

Re: FLR Linux - failed to connect to <ip>:2500

Post by vmbackupuser »

This post may help
cdickerson
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Craig Dickerson

[MERGED] isolated network file restore

Post by cdickerson »

Trying to use the "Guest files (other os)" restore method of a linux VM. I want to use the FTP feature and have the user FTP into the appliance this wizard brings up and get the files. The appliance is loading and all looks good, but after a few minutes Veeam is failing the job because it can't communicate with the appliance it just spun up. It won't be able to because it's in a isolated network that I don't have routes and firewall rules to. Is there a way to tell Veeam to try not to communicate with this virtual appliance and let me stop the job once the restore is complete? I would prefer not to use SureBackup features if I don't have to.
Thanks.
-Craig
jgh
Novice

Post by jgh »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Glad that you've managed to resolve this issue. Yes, the appliance should be placed in the same network where a restored VM is located.
I don't understand how this is. I have an FLR appliance configured on a different network/vlan, however the firewall is configured to let this traffic flow through, yet I am having the same issue. Why must it be on the same network?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Basically, FLR appliance should be configured on the same network where the Veeam B&R server resides. However, restore to original location is not available for VMs that are on different network, hence recommendation to place the appliance on the VMs network and configure routing to allow access to it from the console.
jgh
Novice

Post by jgh »

At this time, our FLR appliances are configured on the same network at our Veeam B&R server are located. We are also able restore to the original location on the originating virtual guest without issue and it is on a separate Vlan in our network. The way this happens is that we have configured our hardware and software firewalls to let the traffic through for this type of traffic, as well as route the traffic properly.