Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
erank
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Eran Kafe

Replication from ESX 3.5 to ESX 3.5

Post by erank »

I have just installed the veeam backup application and tried it for the first time
I have an XP VM on the first esx server which I would like to replicate on the other esx server
I have tried to do so several times with no success:
ether I am getting replication of the VM on the other server powered on but it can not be accessed - console is black and a message error is popping.
or the process is not even completed and the following message error is showing on the veeam report:
Releasing VM files Failed to perform Veeam VSS freeze: VM state is "poweredOff
" Failed to perform Veeam VSS freeze: VM state is "poweredOff"

I have tried both with VSS verification and without (e.g. both tick boxes and only the top one)
I have followed the manual which seems to be very strait forward and easy to comprehend
but still as mentioned no success
(cloning a VM with in the same esx server using Vmware command line works fine)
can some assists?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Replication from ESX 3.5 to ESX 3.5

Post by Gostev »

Hello erank, do you shutdown the original VM before powering on replica? I am not sure what are you doing wrong since your description is not sufficient as to what error are you getting when trying to access the replica.

The other error appears due to an attempt to use VSS on powered off source VM. If you check the "Perform replication even if VSS fails" checkbox under Replica Consistency settings, this error will be ignored and replication will complete successfully.
erank
Novice

Post by erank »

Thanks for the quick response

The error message that I am getting when trying to access the VM on the destination server after replication is:
"Cannot connect to host 10.199.0.23: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
Do you want to try again?"
trying again does not produce any change in the result

any suggestions?

As to the VSS part: The VM on the source server is shutdown so I guess this is the reason for the message
does VSS works properly only on live VMs?

Thanks again
Eran
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

From this error it sounds like you have connection problem with you target host, not the problem with actual replica VM. Looks like this problem is totally unrelated to Veeam Backup.

Yes, VSS technology is specifically designed for being used when computer is running, for backup applications to be able to properly quiesce all running applications (commit transactions and purge all file system caches). So VSS is simply senseless when it comes to powered off computers.
erank
Novice

Post by erank »

It seems you are correct as to the problem I am experiencing, I have tried other methods of cloning and they did not work as well. The strange thing about it is that I do have connection with the host as long as I am not trying to access the consul of the VM through the ESX VI
Only when I am activating the VM and then trying to access the consul I am getting this error
I guess it is not related to the Veeam SW after all and I'll try to address Vmware support with this issue
If any one else experienced the above problem and knows how to resolve it please post it
Thanks for the explanation on VSS
ssimakov
Veeam Software
Liked: 63 times
Full Name: Stanislav Simakov

Post by ssimakov »

erank, I don't think VMware support will help you with this issue as it is related to OS and network connectivity level between backup console and guest. Do you have any firewalls between console and guest VM? Are you able to open network shares on guest VM, for example?
Veeam-dsiles
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: David Siles

Post by Veeam-dsiles »

Eran,

The problem you described is usually an issue with proper name resolution or firewall connectivity issues. VMware has a good knowledgebase article describing the process to troubleshoot this error. Please reference KB article 1003879.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=1003879

Regards,

Dave
David Siles
Director, Worldwide Technical Operations
Veeam Software