Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
linux4guru
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas Lam

Description field request

Post by linux4guru »

Hello,

I think it would be a nice feature if Veeam Backup & Replication implement a description field for each backup job. Why? It's a nice way to say - which vm lives on which ESX host or for anything....

Cheers!

thomas
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Description field request

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Thomas,

Thanks for the feedback, but this feature is already there! ;) Check out our User Guide (page 59)

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

This made me smile... did you really miss it? :D
linux4guru
Enthusiast
Full Name: Thomas Lam

Post by linux4guru »

It is there when you initially create the backup job and is there after. I meant from the left pane looking at all the backup job - there should be a field there to display the description.
Vitaliy S. wrote:Hello Thomas,

Thanks for the feedback, but this feature is already there! ;) Check out our User Guide (page 59)

Thanks.
jmcmurry
Novice
Full Name: James McMurry

Post by jmcmurry »

I can understand the motivation behind this request. Some useful things are easier in the Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager, and this is one of those things.
NetWise
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Avram Woroch

Post by NetWise »

Page 59 appears to be:

Step 3. Select Backup Mode
You can back up VMs in one of the three modes using VMware vStorage APIs— Direct SAN access, Virtual Appliance and Network mode.
 By default, if the Direct SAN access or Virtual Appliance mode is selected, Veeam Backup & Replication will automatically fail over to network data transfer in case the primary selected backup mode fails during the job run. To disable failover, click the Advanced… button and......

Is this the correct page for this detail?
NetWise
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Avram Woroch

Post by NetWise »

NetWise wrote:Page 59 appears to be:

Step 3. Select Backup Mode
You can back up VMs in one of the three modes using VMware vStorage APIs— Direct SAN access, Virtual Appliance and Network mode.
 By default, if the Direct SAN access or Virtual Appliance mode is selected, Veeam Backup & Replication will automatically fail over to network data transfer in case the primary selected backup mode fails during the job run. To disable failover, click the Advanced… button and......

Is this the correct page for this detail?
It would seem it is page 64 - must have been an update:

"In the VM notes section, select the Set successful backup details to this VM attribute check box to write to a VM custom attribute information about successfully performed backup and data on backup results (backup date and time, backup console name, and path to the backup file ). In the field below, enter the name of a necessary attribute. If the specified attribute does not exist, Veeam Backup & Replication 5.0 will create it."

We are definitely already using this, we reite it to a NOTES field and we get a note that looks like: Veeam Backup: Time [9/6/2011 12:25:22 AM], Backup host [ESBACKUP], Backup file [ESBACKUP:\\esbackup\VEEAM-BACKUP\ESBACKUP\Backup Job - PREPROD1 -2011-09-05T200102.vbk]"

I'm curious, and I think the original post is as well - it seems there is only a checkbox to enable "placing notes", but not the ability to put in custom variables etc. Would this be accurate?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

NetWise wrote:Is this the correct page for this detail?
Yes, you are looking at correct page in your first post. On top of page 59 in the linked document there is a screenshot showing job's description field.
pcrebe
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: CARLO

Post by pcrebe »

Sorry,

what should i write in the field notes?
Please, can you write an example for Time and Path to the backup file name?

Thank you,
Carlo
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

VM notes field functionality is completely unrelated to what is being discussed in this topic (job description). However, to answer your question, in that field you specify the custom attribute name to write the last backup details to.